In a New Jersey Divorce, what are the rules for keeping a house?

Specifically, if I own a house (fully paid off) by myself, years BEFORE I get married, if I were to get married then divorced, would I get to keep my house outright and not have it become a 'bargaining chip' or something to be divided?

• T J

See a lawyer.............

• Foofa

NJ isn't a community property state in that your premarital house suddenly becomes a joint marital asset upon marriage. But just to be safe you'll probably want to specifically exclude it via a prenuptial agreement. Most people would willing sign such a thing if it meant that instead of having to pay half the mortgage it meant they could save all that money just in case this divorce you're predicting should happen. 

Check with the laws of your state, or consult an attorney. We can't give legal advice and wouldn't know about this in any case. Where I live (NOT New Jersey!) anything acquired BEFORE marriage would remain in my posession exclusively. Anything acquired AFTER marriage would be considered COMMUNITY PROPERTY.

• D50

I'm sure there's no one-size-fits-all rule. Talk to a NJ divorce lawyer. Usually, property acquired outside of the marriage is treated differently from property acquired during the marriage. But "it depends". 

In Jersey? Fuhget about it!

Source(s): That's how people in New Jersey talk