Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 month ago

How can I stop my toddler from throwing things at my dog?

I have a chihuahua and an almost 2 year old. My son loves throwing his toys at my poor dog and chasing him around the house, throwing things at him. My son doesn’t listen to no and just laughs when I try stopping him. He’ll throw anything at him that he can find, even toys that are big. How can I stop my son from throwing things at my dog

• Rita
    1 week ago

How Do I Stop My Toddler from Throwing Things!

Recognize the behavior is a call for help or trying to communicate something. ...

Don't take behavior personally. ...

Be calm and confident as you respond (believe you are even if you don't feel like it) ...

Communicate and give choices. ...

Follow through with any consequences. ...

Allow their emotional response.

• L

You don't.  Just leave your son and the dog be......sooner or later, the dog (if the dog does not like things being thrown at it) will hide.

A belt to the back side

Its the proven cure all

Id put the toys away so he has nothing to throw.

I would show him what he could give the dog.

I would show him how to love dog.

I would teach him to make the dog's bed.

I would teach by talking about gentle hands.

Id never let the chasing happen, id stop him sit him down on floor, stop action asap and say in a firm voice no chasing the dog.

If he persisted, id swat his bottom once and tell him no.

People might think that is extremely terrible but, its better than urgent care with a toddler dog bite.

Tell him "No" in a very stern & serious tone, also separate the kid from the dog and make sure he doesn't have access to anything, he can throw at the dog. If he still doesn't listen, then put him in time-out for 5 minutes.

• !

Stop him from having things. Every time he throws something at the dog, take it, and put it in a closet or something. Tell him that you're selling everything he throws. He'll eventually either get the point, or he'll run out of stuff to throw. Once the message has gotten across, "buy back" everything

If there are no consequences for not listening when you say NO then why would he take you seriously? You need to tell him what the punishment will be if he throws things at the dog and then actually follow through when he tests you. If you can't master that you are doomed. 

A firm, firm "NO" and placing the child in their crib for a two minute "time-out".  

No screaming - no pleading - no yelling - just a firm "no - you do not throw things at the dog".

Taking away any item that has been thrown at the dog is another option.  "No - you can't have the toy because you threw it at the dog".

Talk to the child.  Tell them they are going to hurt the dog.  

The good news is that most children will outgrow this phase fairly quickly.  Just be persistent in trying to enforce the rule of not throwing things at the dog.

BTW - does this dog play "fetch" - is your child maybe thinking that if he throws things toward the dog, the dog will bring it back?  This could also be a case of needing to teach the child what sort of things CAN be thrown FOR the dog.  

If it were me, I would throw the dog at the toddler.  Then the toddler would learn to respect & fear the dog.