Anonymous

can I get a job as a forensic analyst if i have a degree in criminology?

please don't troll... i've tried asking this so many times but never get any answers :(

so I've always had an interest in forensic science ever since i was young but i really don't want to major in simple science degrees like chemistry or biology because they require SO many math classes which is something that i really hate. I know for a fact there is no place in forensics where i will need to use a unit circle and calculate functions with pi 😐

although I am taking biology and chemistry with labs as classes itself for a crim major

i was hoping to see if anyone who has experience could tell me if a degree in criminology -- and also other classes with forensic science or training, could be possible for a job in the forensics field. 

• MS

It depends on the agency that is hiring.  But most "forensic analyst" positions are held by people with degrees in the sciences - usually chemistry, sometimes biology.  Many have graduate degrees in these fields.  Some schools now offer forensic science degrees, which are more specialized to this work.  A criminology or criminal justice degree provides very little knowledge or practice in the field of forensic science, so it would likely not help you obtain such a job.

i dont see why not

Theoretically yes, as the site below indicates, but frankly, owing to the limited number of jobs available, you'd have a better chance of landing one (and with a larger and better-paying force or agency) if you earned a graduate degree, and that means math.