how do I connect directly to modem?

Hello, my new modem has 2 ports 1- 2.5 gig and 1.0gb, my router is connected to the 1.0 and if I connect the computer to the router i get internet but if I connect it directly to the modem i dont get it, it says cant get a valid ip address. what should I do?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Connect the Ethernet cable to a yellow LAN port on your modem

Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to an Ethernet port on your computer or laptop

Make sure that the Ethernet light is green and flashing next to the port you have used on your modem

Open up your browser and confirm that you can load a webpage

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

your by your software system , its wireless , older ones need a usb or serial cable . set it with your computer running a new internet connection , windows will connect you .

• 1 month ago

To interface it to your PC, plug one finish of an Ethernet link into the Ethernet or LAN port on the rear of your modem, at that point plug the opposite end into the Ethernet port on the rear of your PC. Your modem should accompany an Ethernet link, however any old Ethernet link will do.

• 1 month ago

You need to turn off the modem and leave it turned off for 10-15 minutes.  Disconnect the router from the modem.  Turn off your computer.  Connect the computer directly to the modem.  Turn on the modem, wait about 5 minutes for it stabilize, then turn on the computer.

One the service provider side the MAC address of the router is associated with the IP address they assign.  When you turn off the "connection" to the service provider the MAC address/IP address association "ages out" if you give it time.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You do not.

The modem connection is locked to the MAC address of the router and will not allow anything else to connect instead.

That is a very good thing!

Firstly, the computer will have a 1Gbit Ethernet port, so cannot run any faster.

Secondly, if you did configure to connect directly to the modem, that would be bypassing the firewall in the router - and that is the single most important piece of security and protection against malicious systems you have.

Every public IP address is continuously being attacked by automated malware spreading systems - other computers infected with worms etc.

The router firewall is the main thing that protects you from that.

Windows is a lot better than is used to be, but at worst the life expectancy of a windows-based machine connected directly to a public IP address (eg. a modem & no router) was under ten minutes, before it was infected with malware.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It should work but there are times when ISPs configure their modems and routers to work in unison leaving you no other choice but to connect through the router only.

I'm guessing the modem doesn't have DHCP server capabilities turned on. Do an "ipconfig /all" in cmd and take note of the gateway's address. This would probably be the modem's. Set your computer's IP address manually using that but change the last set of numbers to the next value, then use the modem's as the gateway. For DNS, try 8.8.8.8.

If it doesn't work, revert everything back to the way they were before and just continue plugging into the router. 

• 1 month ago

restart modem and then connect router to modem.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would talk to your internet service provider about it

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If your computer doesn't work in the same socket you were using for the router, the router knows something your computer doesn't: the secret handshake to get on the internet. Normally the modem does all the work of signing in to the internet service provider, but sometimes that job is put on the router and if that's the case your computer and other devices have to depend on it. You should check the guide that came with the modem or call customer service to see if you can use that second port, and what you need to adjust.

• opurt
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Well the obvious answer is connect your computer to the router, as it works when connected that way.

The modem is what gives you a connection to the internet and this connection is often locked down to a single device, in your case the router. The router is what lets you share that one internet connection with all your devices, so the whole modem->router->computer connection path is normal.

If you *really* want to connect directly to the modem (and not share the connection with any other device), then you'd either have to reboot the modem after connecting the computer so that it recognizes the computer as that one device it's allowed to communicate with, or you'd have to call your ISP to reset it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.