Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

What is a “safe” amount of money to retire on?

And let’s assume that 60-90% of that amount of assets is invested into income generating instruments such as stocks, bonds, real estate, REIT’s, etc.

Assuming you retire at age 65

With a Liberal government, no amount is safe. Liberals need taxes and everybody's money is fair game. eventually they will raid the $Trillions in dollars that have been saved for retirement by millions of Americans. 

Liberals are the perfect example of pick pockets

6 million bucks.  5 million will probably do but 6 would feel more comfortable.

• RICK

Depends on pensions, how much SS you get, life style, are you debt free, do you own home free and clear.

I retired with a military pension, SS, all houses paid for, all cars paid off and only a little in savings.

Before Covid we traveled extensively,  dined out frequently and now 13 years later the savings have more than doubled 

Where?  You need a lot more in NY or CA than in MS.

At least a million Id say.

• n2mama

3 million dollars. People can and do retire on a lot less, but that’s my target. And I intend to be debt free including no mortgage when I retire.

No one answer.   250k would be ok for me- single, no debt, own my house and vehicle, don't expect to live past 70, know how to live off very little.

Depends on your lifestyle, and the cost of living where you plan to retire.  I'm thinking about it.  I've got 3/4 of a mil saved up and will get a pension.  My house is paid off so I don't have that to worry about.  I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

• Sandy

What one person considers "safe" will not be enough for someone else. A lot depends on variables such as if there's a mortgage and what activities will be done during retirement. A person who wants to travel will need more than a homebody.