Is it ok(legal) to photograph/videotape people in public spaces(without their permission) whose faces are partially obscured?

I shot video at a museum during Covid where everyone wore a (Covid)mask. One shot was of a person with his back to me as he looked at a painting. Other people occasionally walked into my frame as I shot video. Obviously, there is no opportunity to get their permission at this point. I would like to publish/post my video on youtube, vimeo, etc.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes.

You can photograph or video anything you like in any public place.

I'm not sure of US law, but under English law a "public place" means any place normal people have access to; eg. pretty much anyplace you do not need to be an employee or have a membership or appointment for entry, even if you have to buy a ticket.

So, "public" specifically includes all normal areas of stores, malls, museums etc.

Just not employee-only / staff-only parts.

The owners of such places can set their own rules, and could have a "No photography" rule, which you either obey or get kicked out - eg. as common in cinemas. 

• 1 month ago

Taking photographs and video of things that are plainly visible in public spaces is a constitutional right—and that includes transportation facilities, the outside of federal buildings, and police and other government officials carrying out their duties. Unfortunately, INSIDE A MUSEUM is NOT a public space.  The Museum owns the grounds and though they may grant you permission to photograph using a camera, someone could cause a bit of an issue should they wish to.  It would be difficult to prove malice, but the thing to remember here is that it is not really a PUBLIC space. 

• 1 month ago

if you receive any payment whatsoever, anyone who is recognized will be able to successfully sue you for using their likeness.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.