How useful is a Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics really?

I am potentially interested in taking up studies in PPE degree as I find government interesting and would love to be able to take up German and Japanese studies to go international one day also. A lot of people have said it is very useful and transferrable to many different positions but is it really? I would like to know how useful the degree is and will it give me the potential for a high-paying job? I have high ambitions...

Also: What would be the best free electives to take up in your opinion, I'm thinking commercial law electives or something like that?

You won't work in govt positions in countries where you are not a citizen. You would have to end up working in your country's foreign service, then with your years of high performance, experience, seniority, etc, hope for a temporary posting in one of your consulates or embassy abroad. 

Ending up with a "high paying job" depends on what you do & how well you do it for whom where. First, you choose where you want to go, what you want to do, then what you need to prepare to enter that career path & move up. You don't pick a degree, then try to figure out where you might put it to use.

• John

Its not really possible to tell if such a degree would be helpful to you. The reason is because you don't give any specifics as to what you intend to do for a living.  You only mention that you would like to "go international one day..."  You seem to be planning to study a vague major to prepare for a vague career.  Being more specific about your life plans will allow you to plot a more definite course. 

Smart, ambitious people can get hired into a lot of professional positions regardless of their major.  Some get jobs working in government or for political groups or politicians.  Many do not. Some eventually go on to law school. Mediocre students who can't convert academic studies into useful skills don't get hired by anyone.

You need to start by figuring out what it is you think you want to do and research those types of jobs.  Foreign language is great -- if you actually have enough mastery of the language to conduct business in that language.  Three or four years of Gernan, but be enough.  It won't be enough to get a job speaking Japanese.  

use that as a stepping stone toward a law degree