Pawel asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Why the Western Allies (WWII) failed to fulfill their alliance obligations towards Poland after the unprovoked attack on September 1, 1939?

Don't get me wrong, England and France declared war on Germany after their attack on my country, but did not make the promised great land invasion of Germany that was to begin immediately in the event of an attack, so did England and France remained silent as the Nazis remilitarized the Rhineland when they even if France itself attacked them then Hitler would have to surrender, the same with the Anschluss of Austria and the Partition of Czechoslovakia, to which, unfortunately, Poland also contributed, although in the case of Poland it was about regaining the lands that Czechoslovakia annexed when Poland was engaged in the war with the Bolsheviks 1918-1921

Our Polish hero was planning a preventive war with Germany from 1933 to attack the Nazis while there was still time for it, but no one listened to him

And after World War II, Poland found itself in the Soviet sphere of influence, both Great Britain, France and, of course, the United States boast about how they banned the Soviet Union and how they helped the countries of Central and Eastern Europe to free themselves from communism, forgetting thanks to whom these countries found themselves in the Soviet Union Sphere of influence.

And attributing Poland complicity in the Holocaust, when not only Jews died in these German death camps (not Polish, not Nazi, but GERMAN DEATH CAMPS) in which representatives of other minorities, not only Jews

Update:

And while there may be a grain of truth that my nation was anti-Semitic, it was not anti-Semitism out of the standard of the time. 

I wonder if anyone remembers that the United States refused to accept the ship as Jewish refugees or that the French national railways SNCF were making money on Death Trains

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

There was no promise of a great land invasion.

"His Majesty's Government would feel themselves bound at once to lend the Polish Government all support in their power"

• 1 month ago

Fellow Pole immigrant writing. Your English is a little imperfect but I'm gonna respond to your points.

A land invasion of Germany would have been ambitious even if war had been declared in the mid 1930s, as it almost certainly should have been. Chamberlain failed to understand how dangerous Hitler was.. Both in terms of the date of going to war and arming the country. But we know that.

Churchill himself actually praised some of the things Hitler did before Hitler made the country evil, racist and warlike. In his essay "Hitler And His Choice" (written in the earlier years of the 1930s) Churchill suggests Hitler could restore Germany to its glory years rather than become a menace. This was Churchill's notion of the war, to restore balance to the empire, not to defend European interests. Much like the US of the present, the UK ruling class had very little concern for the interests of second or third rate powers like Poland.

Did Churchill let Poland down after the war? I don't know. Churchill could be matey with Stalin at times, sending Stalin a sword once as a gesture-gift for example. OTOH Churchill government prepared 'Operation Unthinkable', a plan to go to war with Russia if they were not taking Europe's interests seriously.

Btw I don't believe Poland was ever anti-semitic, it was high-ranking Nazi scum who ordered the gassings. Nazi propaganda treated Poles as subhuman, and even ordered the systematic gassing of many Eastern Europeans.

Lv 6
    1 month ago

If Edward Rydz-Śmigły was your hero, you have a lot to learn about your own history.

Rydz-Śmigły (he was so vain that he adopted the "Śmigły" non de plume, which means "Fast or Agile" and incorporated it into his name) was a wannabe dictator without a dictatorship. He was as obsessed to go to war with Germany as Churchill and the Soviets were. Trouble was, Poland wasn't strong enough to take on Germany alone and Britain took advantage of this.

The mainstream narrative is that Germany attacked Poland without provocation. However, with Poland's enthusiasm to attack Germany and Britain's promise of support, there's all the more reason to believe that it was, in fact, Poland that attacked the radio station just across the border. This gives logic and credibility to the fact that the broadcast from the radio station called for Poles to attack Germany - to believe Germans called on their own to attack themselves is absurd.

Britain suckered Poland into provoking a German attack just so they could justify declaring war on Germany. Britain had no intention of honoring its word with Poland - they hung Poland out to dry so the Soviets could attack from the east.

The idea was to give the Soviets direct access to Germany so the two countries would wipe out each other.

When Hitler took over the Sudetenland in 1938, Czechoslovakia wanted to go to war with Germany, but they too were too weak and they couldn't get any help from Britain nor France. The Soviets were willing to help, but Poland denied them access.

Britain had been setting up a conflict between Germany and the Soviet Union since the mid-1800s. WW1 and the failed Weimar Republic were the first two stages to break Germany.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.