Is it weird or unprofessional to have your coworkers personal cell phone number?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is not weird or unprofessional but some weird or unprofessional things could come up. Like would you need for your coworker to be stalking you when you are nowhere to be found? Only your supervisor should be able to reach you then. It is not the coworker's  business to find out where you are at during working hours. If you are good friends and enjoy each other's company after hours, it would be inevitable to have their personal cell phone number. Otherwise, no need to press someone for their personal cell phone number it they have a work phone to call for work related issues. They could just leave a msg when reaching voicemail.

• a
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Only if it is used in a weird or unprofessional manner.

I had a co-irker who one day decided she was too sick to come to work. Instead of calling work, she called someone else and demanded that person call in sick for her. The woman refused. "Daisy" was listed as no call/no show. When she gave her two week notice, it was accepted effective immediately. No surprises, there. Except, oddly, Daisy was surprised.

• No. Depending on your job you may need to switch shifts with them if you can't work, so it may be a good thing to have a few co workers numbers just in case. It's not unprofessional to have them as a contact. 

I have a couple of co workers phone numbers, but I only use them as a reference. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Its neither. SMH

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Depends on how you got it and what the intended purpose is.

I have 44 employees and everyone gets a staff phone sheet so that things can be arranged if someone wants to switch a shift or we have a snow storm or whatever.   

• fcas80
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Thee may be a business reason you need to contact someone after hours.

Or, you may be friends.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.