Contents insurance ?

My contents Insurance is for £75,000, if my house burnt down and I lost everything, would I have to list everything that I have lost or would they just payout the £75,000 thanks 

Take photographs of your furniture, jewelry, artwork, etc., because you WILL have to prove what you lost.

The onus would rest on you to demonstrate your claim, thus proving ownership and quantum of the contents would be key. This would comprise of completing an inventory of the contents, along with any supporting documentation such as photographs of damaged items, original receipts, etc. The sum insured is £75K; the insurers would therefore pay up to this limit of liability, minus any excess. You would need to check policy terms regarding settlement and whether this is on a 'new for old' basis or if they make any deductions for wear and tear, such as items of clothing.

They won't just hand over £75k, but, subject to what you owned/had destroyed, they will hand over UP to £75k.

• fcas80

You would have to provide some proof that your contents is worth £75,000.  A list with values of the major items is a good start.

Check your policy and ask your agent. Generally, insurance pays a specified amount without question, usually on a predefined value of the house. But furniture, valuables, clothing and the like may not be covered. You may need proof of that or an addendum to the policy.