COVID-19 and flu question?

How come there are so few cases of flu worldwide this year? Are most of counted as COVID-19 infections? I can't believe flu cases have plummeted by 98% in the US (other countries follow a similar trend) in comparison with the last year.

There may be fewer influenza cases this year because if people are taking the necessary precautions against cOVID-19 they will be protected against influenza-casuing viruses plus other respiratory tract infections.

Although there certainly could be fewer infections for the reason given above, it may also be a result of the way the news is being dominated by COVID-19. Because of COVID-19 we're probably not hearing much about influenza this winter. I was brassed off with hearing about Brexit. then along came this pandemic. I am now fed up with non-stop news about COVID-19. I sincerely hope that when the pandemic is over and life can return to normal that Brexit does not again hog the news.

I suspect that there are fewer colds too. Social distancing and mask-wearing help with the flu and colds. Frequent hand-washing, to curb covid transmission, helps even more to prevent transmission of colds.

> How come there are so few cases of flu worldwide this year?

Because the things we do to slow down the spread of covid-19 also slow down the spread of the flu

Some of the cases are just not being reported - patients do not want to go see a doctor, so just tough it out.  But masking and social distancing works for other viruses too, and with the flu being somewhat less contagious than SARS-COV-2, current safety precautions for Covid are even more effective for the flu.

Sigh...

Covid is not real. 

Covid is just a distraction for various hidden agendas.

Global pandemic? C'mon. 

Only Walmart and pro sports can operate? C'mon? 

Jail for not wearing a p*sse mask? C'mon? 

• Petter

Covid-19 IS the flu/cold, pretty obvious. But the corona virus attaching/connecting to it(?) somehow makes it worse for some of us.