I have no credit and need a better shape used car? How do I get a car without credit?

I am 18 about to be 19 I work 2 jobs one in the early morning to early evening than a part time job from evening to night along with odd jobs whenever I am not scheduled to come in (land scaping, leaf blowing, mowing, snow shoveling, gardening,etc) .I am about to move out of my parents soon I have earned $10K saved I have been employed since I was 16 and did odd jobs since I was 11 I have clean work history and at ages 12-13 both summer breaks I had made $2K. I save and have earned every penny of my money buy my own clothes, pay car insurance, cell phone bill,gas for my car, and save every remaining dime I barely spend for free time I just save. Recently my car has been giving me issues its a car that's 26 years old allignment is off,tires bad, transmission giving, oil heavily leaking, frame rusted so bad that you can see the road under you on passenger side floor big hole, rack and pinion is bad, fuses keep blowing, alternator wearing, starter is giving, exhaust is so loud hole in my exhaut, cracked windshield, no ac or heat and drivers side door is about to fall of hinges. Its a money pit. I have saved enough money but how do I build credit a lot of dealerships ask me about my credit and I need help building credit. I am looking for a car thats newer but will get me point A to B nothing fancy I will pay for the entire car myself. Whats a good start to a credit score. My current car everyone has dubbed a "Death Trap". Where do I start on credit.

I have had many people including mechanics say that my car is beyond repair I am planning on scrapping it. I have not drove it for a while because its so unsafe. I live in a rural very small town in the country luckily both jobs are small businesses and in walking distance from home.

The only way to get a car without credit is to go to one of those 'buy here pay here places' and get ripped off.

Or - since you say you have some money saved, simply find a car that you want, and pay cash for it.

A dealership will provide a loan. Just make sure the interest is reasonable, not the payment. What's reasonable? Google the car that you want. Like Official Chevrolet Website. That will give you the suggested retail price & the percentage of a loan. When I was young, a closer said "We don't go by that. I'll make the payments easy." I said, everyone goes by interest. Then he said "19.47%, but the payments are easy." I walked.

You will not get any financing on reasonable terms at your age. Save up and pay cash.

If anyone offers you financing, its an overpriced car and/or a high rate and should be avoided.

The best bet is to spent just part of your money on a car that is not a "death trap" and to save the rest for repairs, etc.  

If your question is how to build up credit, you go to the bank where you have your $10,000 saved and ask for a personal loan putting up your savings as collateral.  This becomes perfectly safe for the bank as they already have the money.   Then you take a little time and pay off this loan.  This gives you a record of having borrowed money and paid it back.  Repeat this a few times asking for bigger loans each time.  It will cost you a little interest for these loans, but it will give you a great credit rating.  When you really do need to borrow money ...for a car. or (better) for a house, you will have a great credit rating and will save in the long run.

• Barry

Why don't you call one or two dealers and ask them if they can arrange finance? Dealers have links to flexible finance houses. So it's well worth enquiring.

• Murzy

There are always used car dealers that will extend you credit but at a very rate of interest. FYI-We have a dealership near my house called "Are you Breathing?".