There is cold air coming through our apartment window?

Please I am in desperate help... I am in Chicago and the weather is 16 degrees. We feel cold air coming through our window. Especially at night its the coldest. And I’m worried because I have two little babies: I asked the landlord about this situation.. he said this is the warmest it gets and there’s nothing to do about it. 

Please I need serious and honest answers 

What can I do about the windows?? Even when I stand in front of the windows I feel the cold air. Is there a solution to this? Is it my responsibility or the landlord?   

Thank you 

Favorite Answer

the cold air has several sources. 1. cracks and openings around the edges. 2. most likely, the glass is single pane and transmits a lot of heat.

for #1, add weatherstripping to cover the openings.

for #2, I'd advise installing a "window insulation kit"

you can get both at a hardware store, or amazon.

The landlord is responsible to keep the temperature in the room above some temperature, I think 68º, but it varies with state. check with your city hall or town clerk.

MA: From September 16 to June 14, every room must be heated to at least 68º F between 7:00 AM and 11 PM, and at least 64º F at all other hours.

Your landlord is required to have a heating system that maintains room temperature to a certain temperature, usually 68 degrees. The window is a thin pane of glass that allows drafts. In my day, we'd go to the hardware store, buy a sheet of plastic-like covering, and tape it over the window. It always worked. We called it common-sense.

• garry

you have bought some draft proofing for your windows , its only $5 a roll , or  dont you think to go to home depot to buy it !!!! even your local hardware store sells it ..use your brain to think .

• n2mama

What is the overall temperature in your apartment? If it’s at least 68F in daytime hours, there is nothing your landlord is required to do about it. If you don’t like the draft (which is pretty common around windows in homes), you can take steps to seal it like others have recommended with plastic sheeting or similar. 

• R P

Put up plastic sheeting to help keep the cold air out.  Or hang thermal curtains.

This is the reason they make plastic window film you can put over your leaky windows. There's nothing else you can do about it. the landlord isn't responsible for the construction that causes the problem in your building--just the maintenance on it--and It's a very common issue with older buildings. Visit your local big-box hardware store (home depot, lowes, ace hardware) and they should have a large selection of items you can use. 

It's easy to use, easy to buy.  

Tape plastic or even a towel over the window and seal it up as best you can. Turn up the heat a bit. Cold comes thru my windows and everyones to, its called "diffusion", but this window doesn't appear poorly insulated.

You get a large sheet of plastic, cover the window with it, and tape it to the wall to seal it so that it doesn't leak.

• ?

You can buy a window insulation kit at any hardware store, home improvement store, or Walmart.  It's a sheet of plastic that you place a few inches from the window and shrink to fit with a hair dryer.  It's cheap enough that I wouldn't bother the landlord with it.   You can also buy foam or felt strips to fill in the gaps around the windows.

There are window treatments--hardware stores carry kits. It's plastic you seal (it's sticky) around the wood frame and use a hair dryer to shrink it tight, making a sealed barrier. 

Heavy curtains closed will only help a little.  Windows like that usually need to be completely replaced ( likely $300 a pop). So the heat retention kits will be your best bet. 

I'm in Milwaukee,  it's very cold here too.