? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Can you use the word "thingie" in a book?

Since people say it, and what I'm writing is how a child explained something, so is it ok to write "thingie" if it's not a real word..? 

Of course it is. You can write what the hell you wish in a book, particularly if its your book.  Its a piss poor way of speaking, and most certainly folk will think that you'r probably a bit thick  to describe things like that. 

Sounds a bit likem shooting yoursef in the foot.

I imagine that if you are writing a childrens or comedy book then yes it would be good to use the word thingie but if it was a non fiction then it might not fit

• garry

can use it but it wont be published after all it is proof read before printing ..even book publisher write in proper english ..expects a book to be published with a made up word ,,.lol

• Andrew

Don't! The penalty is severe. That's 15 years hard labour right there. 

It would sound strange coming from you as the author, but when you're writing dialogue it would be silly NOT to use the language that that person would use in real life.

This includes bad language.

Why don't you read a couple of books with dialogue in them? So many questions asked here by inexperienced writers can be EASILY answered by simply picking up a few books and reading them.

It can be used in dialogue. 

• Marli

"Thingy" sounds just right in a child's mouth.

Should you watch "Jeeves and Wooster " on YouTube, (or read a novel by P. G. in which Bertie Wooster and his valet Jeeves are the main characters), you will hear Bertie Wooster say it, (or Thing-a-ma-bob or What-ya-ma-call-it) Since Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse was an early to mid 20th century English-American humorist and playwright of the upper middle classes, "thingy" has a respectably long pedigree as a slang word for "I can't remember (or won't say) the name of that thing."

You can use any word you wish.  Thingie is at least easily recognized even if not regarded as an "official" word, because like much slang it is used.  And probably more acceptable than a lot of foreign language words one sees used.  In my latest SF novel I have at least one word I've invented, plus German, Russian, Swahili and Greek, and tough luck to readers who don't like it.

Sure. It can describe lots of things for which we don't know the name. The more common spelling is thingy and that is in the dictionary. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thingie

• Murzy

it's ok                                   .