? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Can you use the word "thingie" in a book?

Since people say it, and what I'm writing is how a child explained something, so is it ok to write "thingie" if it's not a real word..? 

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Of course it is. You can write what the hell you wish in a book, particularly if its your book.  Its a piss poor way of speaking, and most certainly folk will think that you'r probably a bit thick  to describe things like that. 

Sounds a bit likem shooting yoursef in the foot.

• 1 month ago

I imagine that if you are writing a childrens or comedy book then yes it would be good to use the word thingie but if it was a non fiction then it might not fit

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

can use it but it wont be published after all it is proof read before printing ..even book publisher write in proper english ..expects a book to be published with a made up word ,,.lol

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Don't! The penalty is severe. That's 15 years hard labour right there. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It would sound strange coming from you as the author, but when you're writing dialogue it would be silly NOT to use the language that that person would use in real life.

This includes bad language.

Why don't you read a couple of books with dialogue in them? So many questions asked here by inexperienced writers can be EASILY answered by simply picking up a few books and reading them.

• 1 month ago

It can be used in dialogue. 

• Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"Thingy" sounds just right in a child's mouth.

Should you watch "Jeeves and Wooster " on YouTube, (or read a novel by P. G. in which Bertie Wooster and his valet Jeeves are the main characters), you will hear Bertie Wooster say it, (or Thing-a-ma-bob or What-ya-ma-call-it) Since Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse was an early to mid 20th century English-American humorist and playwright of the upper middle classes, "thingy" has a respectably long pedigree as a slang word for "I can't remember (or won't say) the name of that thing."

• 1 month ago

You can use any word you wish.  Thingie is at least easily recognized even if not regarded as an "official" word, because like much slang it is used.  And probably more acceptable than a lot of foreign language words one sees used.  In my latest SF novel I have at least one word I've invented, plus German, Russian, Swahili and Greek, and tough luck to readers who don't like it.

• 1 month ago

Sure. It can describe lots of things for which we don't know the name. The more common spelling is thingy and that is in the dictionary. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thingie

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

it's ok                                   .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.