How do you make potato pancakes from mashed potatoes?

Firm Pancakes Are the Best Thing to Happen to Leftover Mashed Potatoes

In case you're swimming in extra pureed potatoes after the entirety of your visitors has traveled every which way, look no farther than these hotcakes. Add an egg, cheddar, and a touch of hacked new chives, and you've immediately made a blend that can be shaped into patties. There's no compelling reason to try and add salt and pepper to the blend if your unique pureed potatoes were all around prepared.

Squish them and shape them into a pancake and then fry it the same way you would a pancake.

• JOHN B

Take 1/2 of the flour measure and add 1/2 measure of potatoes to it and mix as usual. For a single person:

1/2 cp flour

1/2 cp potatoes

1 egg

1 tsp salt

1 full tsp baking powder

1 cp milk

1 tsp oil

You can add a little sugar or vanilla extract to jazz it a little. If too thin add a little potato or flour until desired thickness

• denise

Add some flour and some seasoning, mould them into balls, flatten them slightly, leave on a floured plate in the fridge to set up a little, then fry them. 

• Ray J

I have made latkes from left-over mashed potatoes before.  I dice up half an onion and saute in oil until soft.  I mix that into the potatoes with a raw egg and a little bit of filler like corn meal, flour or mild breadcrumbs, form into patties and fry in oil until golden brown.

I am not really sure if you can, but you can make potato patties, which is something that is equally tasty. You just take your left over mashed potatoes, add what ever you like to them such as minced onion, garlic, salt and pepper, any spices/herbs you like, add an egg if the potato hasn't been mashed with milk or cream, mix thoroughly and  make the mixture into patties and then fry in butter on medium heat until the patties are golden brown. They should be crispy on the outside but will still be soft in the middle. If you did mix your potatoes with milk or cream then generally you wouldn't need an egg, unless the potato mixture just will not form into a patty.

Well, they were not latkes, but my mom used to make patties out of leftover mashed potato. She would mince some onion, stir it into the potatoes, make half-inch patties and fry them until they took on a crust. I remember them fondly, but not fondly enough to make them.

You don't, actually. Potato pancakes are made with grated potatoes.

If you want to make pancakes using mashed potatoes, google for a recipe for 'lefsa', or 'mashed potato pancakes'

• CB

Highly rated recipe  - https://www.food.com/recipe/leftover-mashed-potato...

I have made it and they keep the potato flavor - some recipes use way too much flour.

• kswck2

Much easier to make them from shredded potatoes. But while you can add the mash to pancake batter, you may still get a lump of something inedible. 

I would add some dry potato flakes to the mash to dry it out a bit and then pan fry in about 1/2 inch of oil till browned. Just make the pancake as thin as possible.