Transmission issue?

I'd drive a 2002 Isuzu rodeo six cylinder automatic, it has been having periodic transmission issues, constantly has issues between 3rd and 4th gear hard shifting into fourth going back to third lurching me back. Now it's having issues between other gears slipping and hard shifting occasionally about once or twice a month it will have an episode. 

I know that transmission issues can be caused by shift solenoid or torque converter could it be one of these issues so that I don't need to replace the whole transmission? Such issues only arise  rarely between lower gears, I will usually pull over and restart the car.  3rdto4th seems to have a constant problem. 

Has 189000mi

Transmission was serviced at 164,000 mi after small transmission leak the gasket, filter and fluid were replaced. Fluid that was removed was stated to be clean. 

Favorite Answer

Get an analog ohmmeter and check the throttle position sensor for smooth operation. If there are spikes or drop outs as you move through it's range it will cause similar issues but you probably need a new transmission, 189,000 is a lot for those.

• bo

More than likely the transmission is now gone. GM's 4L30 used in this model and one of the worse GM made. Find local shop at ATRA.COM for more help. And not only used in your model but Honda Passport and a couple of BMW models which pissed one our customers off when we told him that

Source(s): transmission man

Clutches are likely shot.  You need a new transmission.  You can try replacing the shift solenoids.  Good luck.

Dude, I don't suppose that you have ever had the trans serviced. Have You? No. I didn't think so. Too late now. Spend the $2800 on a new or rebuilt trans. Or, sell it to a neighbor & buy another car.