Why do most people say "just move out" when there's a family issue?

My parents are abusive to a point that I can't stay at home for more than a couple of hours.

Do you understand that I (and many others, I guess) don't have the means to move out? I've tried to ask for help to no avail. Apparently, doctors are too busy with this COVID pandemic, and social workers won't listen to me.

I lost my job a couple of years ago, and have been working part time since then, but I don't earn enough to pay a rent. Besides, with this COVID-19 situation things are even worse... I risk getting fined if I get out of town without written proof.

Do you really think I should move out and live elsewhere in bad conditions (what else can you when you earn $300 per month?) just because my parents are sick and abusive? Would you do that?

• Rick

They say it because it would fix the situation for you, but they don't know all the details of your situation.  I hope you can hang in there until CV is over and you'll have more options.  Look after yourself.  

• ?

i would just rent a room from someone

I agree it's sometimes bad advice, but it's far more common for people to put up their own roadblocks. I like helping people, but one problem in this section is so many don't give their age, and this is usually the most important detail of all.  Sometimes I can't tell if someone is 16 or 30.  Your question is in that category.  

With that said, most people over 18 and graduated from hs do have options if they think outside the box.  It's easy for people to say they want out more than anything, but this means doing research, asking others etc.  I've found when I offer ideas, they put up walls and don't want to hear them.  They may truly want out, but they aren't taking the responsibility to get financially sound and make it happen.  In your case, I'm curious why you'd work part time for a couple years, knowing you hate it at home.  Did you ever explore home based work options?  They're everywhere.

• Foofa

Because the standard setting for humans use to be to work to improve their conditions and to set goals and attempt to achieve them. You're expecting some magic bullet from a stranger to make your parents behave when most people would have gotten some job training so they could find a decent gig and be able to afford to move out. Obviously if you're being physically abused calling the police to report these assaults would be a good idea. But I bet you won't do that either. 

• g

Are you thinking you can somehow change them? What you do is keep learning and growing, prepare yourself for better jobs thus better income. You build, that's how it works. You may start with renting a room, having roommates, and you build from there. I'm not sure what other alternatives you see here.

• Audrey

Get a second part time job. Then you can move out, even if it's just into a single rented room.

you keep looking for a better place to live. HAve you been looking at craigslist rooms wanted? room mates wanted? get some post-its and post room wanted post-its on bullitin boards. There are cheap AND safe rooms out there. IF I asked your parents why they are so harsh what would they say? 

• Rick B

You lost your job a COUPLE OF YEARS AGO??????  Covid is pretty recent.  That is not the reason you are working part-time.

You risk getting fined if you get out of town without proof of what?????

Move in with a friend or relative.

Find a better job.  Or work multiple jobs.  Babysit, Deliver Pizzas, mow lawns, etc.  Save up your money and work on finding a better-paying job.  Then move.

If they are truly abusive, then call the police.

Yes.