Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Feeling guilty for wanting a cosmetic procedure ?

So I’ve been wanting a nose job for years now, but my dad has repeatedly told me no. I asked again today, and he said okay.. he didn’t seem happy about it though. At first I was happy, but after I seen him say yes, even tho he was sad about it, it made me feel extremely guilty. I don’t know what to do!! I can’t explain how I feel! Do I still get the procedure

I’m 17, 18 in a few months. The nose of a female is usually fully grown by 15/16, and by the size of my nose it’s for sure 100 percent grown 

My dad is also paying for most of the procedure, and I also just need the approval from my dad, and the permission, even if I was a adult lol I live in Canada, and did a great amount of research on the procedures, and read about all the risks. It could be done under Local anesthesia which is a lot less riskier.

Favorite Answer

If you need to ask your dad for permission then you’re still a minor. 

If you’re still a minor then your face and the shape of your nose are still changing even if you cannot see it. 

For those reasons many plastic surgeons refuse to carry out purely elective cosmetic facial work until patients are at least 21 years old, as after that the face has pretty much settled and further natural changes occur far more slowly.

It’s not just for that reason: by that age many who wanted rhinoplasty as minors have learned more about the common disadvantages of even successful rhinoplasty (such as restricted nasal airflow and frequent nasal whistling whilst breathing through the nose), and of what can go wrong. Examples are post-operative infection which can even result in necrotising fasciitis, or that the surgery results in a worse appearance or an unexpected and unwanted appearance after the swelling and healing has fully settled (about six months after surgery).

All surgery under general anaesthesia also carries a risk of death. Mature adults are also more aware of the fact that the result of even perfect surgery will still leave small cosmetic imperfections usually only visible to the patient. Who often then rushes off to get further surgery from less ethical plastic surgeons. So with greater maturity there is often an acceptance of minor natural variations in nose shape which that person might consider to be “defects”. 

So I’d suggest that you wait, or for now see a professional psychological counsellor who will explore with you your reasons for wanting rhinoplasty and to see whether you can accept and even appreciate the nose you already have. Surgeons who do agree to operate before the patient is 21 will often insist upon that stage anyway to avoid lawsuits later on.

Good rhinoplasty is not cheap, so if you’re paying for it yourself it’s often a powerful incentive to put off surgery, and if you live in the USA where there is no universal public healthcare, your health insurer may well increase charges and also add anything which can be caused by rhinoplasty to their list of coverage exclusions.