Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 1 month ago

Would you enjoy dressing like in 1800?

I find fascinating the dresses that women used in 1800. I mean, the amazing and prestigious fabrics and colours were stunning, as well as the long skirts. When did we choose to switch from this to modern and low quality clothing (Zara, h&m...). Would you enjoy wearing those dresses if all the world would start doing it?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Want to feel vintage.You can wear it

• 😈
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Absolutely.            

• 1 month ago

Clothing reflects broad sociological and technological issues of each era. It fits with the world and society people experienced back then the same as our clothes do now. Back then people were more concerned with their status in society and clothes showed your position. In the year you've chosen clothes also designated you as a city dwellers, town dweller or rural farmer. An etiquette book from 1812 complained that as bad as it was "when  country and town folk put on the airs and trappings (clothes) of city people it is so much worse when one sees the gentry navigating the mud and ruts of a town in their finest Sunday promenade apparel."

The clothing we wear reflects or society and our technology. Our clothes fit into our world the way big bonnets, trained dresses, and frock coats fit into theirs. Homes were not well insulated or heated so many layers were required indoors. We have insulated and heated homes and don't need all the layers. They travelled by horse drawn coaches on unpaved dirt roads. Cloaks and bonnets were designed to trap the dust. We travel in cars, buses and trains that are closed in with no dust getting in. In the 1800's it took months for news and information to spread. Now it's instant. Our world is faster and more streamlined and our clothing reflects our world.

Last, long trained dresses are dangerous in our modern world. Imagine your train still being in the elevator when the doors close. Imagine it getting caught in the side of an escalator. And it would be impossible to sit in and drive your car when wearing a bustle or hoop skirt. Different worlds, different clothes.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

And give up my stretchy expando pants? Never!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kristy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Absolutely not, dreadful 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

if i could dress like a man yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.