Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

Should I give my ex-fiancé the engagement ring back?

So my ex-fiancé left me for another woman, 2 weeks before our wedding. Now he wants my engagement ring back. He said he spent over $5,000 on it.  He also said he should get it back since we didn’t get married. 

I’ve looked at the laws in my state and the ring is a gift. Technically l can keep it. He has no say in the matter. He did cheat on me. He left me for someone almost half his age (who is supposedly 4 months pregnant with his child). 

I do not feel that I should have to give him the ring back. He broke a promise to me. Therefore, he should pay for his mistake. He’s threatening to take me to court over the ring. I told to go ahead. But the law is on my side! 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The ring is a gift you are correct. It is your decision, If you do not want to give it back don't. He will get over it I am sure the other woman will not want him contacting you over and over and looking for you and going to court with you and basically "spending time with you" over a ring. He just mentioned court to threaten you.. Good thing  he left...you will find someone who will truly love and appreciate you... And will not make you feel like you have to do what he wants. 

You should probably just block him and cut all ties with him... if he keeps calling you should tell him you will call the police because he is harassing you. 

Good Luck! 

• 1 month ago

Sell the ring. Use the money to defray some of the cost of the cancelled wedding.  Tell him to pound sand.

• GB
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

He'll learn from his mistake and buy his new girlfriend a cheaper ring. As you say, the law is on your side.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

LOL yes... why do you need to keep it for? there is no law for this... grow up. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He dumped you two weeks before the wedding! Keep it or sell it. Tell him to get f**ked. Let him take you to court He will LOSE!

• 1 month ago

You must have been left with out-of-pocket expenses for the wedding that never happened.

So, you can very well sell the ring to reimburse yourself forthose wedding expenses, keep the ring or do whatever you want with it.

He is such a schmuck and just wants that ring to give to his baby mama or cash in for child support! L O L

Sit back and don't engage in any contact with that self entitled cheater. Hopefully hewill leave you alone once he realizes he has no rights to YOUR ring.

If I were you, I would sell it. It is just a symble of dishonesty and pain . Bad Karma.

• Trish
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Keep it or sell it.  Check with a lawyer to make sure you are right.

• T J
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It was not a gift.. what will you do with it anyways? If you sell it, you will be lucky to get $1500 for it.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If the engagement fell through, you should return the engagement ring.  The situation is not relevant.  It is tradition to return the ring if the marriage does not happen.

• 1 month ago

It is traditionally held as a promise and once the promise is fulfilled, the ring is yours. I think you should return it.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.