Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 month ago

Is it illegal for my friend to do hair from home?

She's 17 and has a salon-type business from home. She cuts and braids hair and advertises on social media. She charges money for it of course. She's in high school and has no degree whatsoever. She's not in cosmetology school. Literally just a high school student. 

• Ya-Hoo

If she makes more than a certain amount she has to pay taxes. I guess technically you're supposed to be licensed but whatever

Whoever goes to her to get their hair cut would probably have problems with the police, and that is if she is where I am from.

I cut my own hair, so I don't have to see anyone to cut my hair.

Another problem is that she doesn't have the proper education to be doing what she is doing, and a genuine business, so she has no idea how much trouble she can get herself into.

In my country ir becomes tax evasion if you start to do that regularly. Imagine selling on a flee market. You don't pay tax cause it's not a regular thing. If she only cuts hair from time to time, who can stop her? 

• ?

of course it's illegal as she needs a license and a permit

In the US, yes. 

Hmmmm.....I suspect you are doing hair at home. 

well as long as she is not advertising saying she is licensed, no, braiding is no big deal my aunt does that for people in PA checked with the law they said it is fine as long as she isn't using chemicals. She needs to check her local/state laws.

There is no reason why it would be illegal. If she advertises that has a degree, then it would be illegal, but I'm assuming that she's transparent about her qualifications. A lot of healthcare and cosmetology sectors require a license, but hair is one of the few that does not. Unlike jobs like massage therapists, the risk of harming somebody from cutting their hair is impossible (unless, you know, the scissors slip). Hair cutting and styling carries practically no risks of bodily harm, so a license isn't legally required. As long as your friend doesn't lie about her qualifications, her business is perfectly legal.

• Sky

If your anonymously posted story is true, most likely it's illegal because she would need to be licensed.  She should check with the laws in her state in case a license is not required.  But if it is required, she may still be able to do hair in a home salon if she's doing it for free.  If she's getting paid, a license is most likely required (plus a business license, too).

Possibly. She needs to check the laws where she lives. Running a business from a residence might be a violation of zoning laws, and hairdressers/barbers often need to be licensed by the state