Can a person whose palate doesn't like seafood one day adjust so that they like the taste?

I've never liked fish or any kind of seafood; I've tried to like it and want to, but my taste buds find it all absolutely nauseating! Even the smell...

Is there a chance that over time, I could come to like seafood? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I suppose if you ate enough of it you could learn to tolerate it, but I have hated seafood all my life, with the exception of scallops, and it has never happened for me yet, nor would I really want to put myself through that just to say I can eat seafood. Not worth the effort.

• 1 month ago

Yes, you can acquire the taste with time.

• 1 month ago

You might - people often find they like different foods as they get older (eg they might start liking olives) - so worth giving it a try every few years maybe.

Also - you might never like 'fishy' fish, but you might find you like something like salmon. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

My mother Hated fish, and my Dad kept aquarium fish. So I was kind of taught Not to like fish. Then I grew up and started to like things like scallops and clams. And as it would figure, I developed and allergy to Scallops. So I fear eating fish once again. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't know. I hate fish. I'm 66. I tried so many times to like it, but I don't and probably never will. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Over time, yes.

When my mom first started buying brown rice and whole wheat bread, instead of white rice and white bread, I HATED the change.  But I ate it because I knew it was good for me, and when I DID eat it, I reminded myself that the purpose of food is to create health.

Within 5 years, I liked brown rice and whole wheat bread.

A similar thing with broccoli.  Count not STAND it.  Started making cheese sauce to drown it in, and could eat it. Gradually weaned myself off to just drizzling some melted butter-lemon juice over it. And now eat broccoli steamed with nothing on it and like it a lot.

Our brain likes what it is used to.  It resists change, but our conscious mind can push us in directions that will gradually change the patterns in our brain.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.