should i stay in school or follow my dreams?

hi, a torn 17 year old here. I've always had dreams of becoming a screenwriter, i've written countless scripts and use my free time to spend writing more because it brings me so much joy. (not to mention the constant new ideas i have for scripts that pop into my head daily). currently im studying health and social care at btec in my local college and it's really getting me down, i'm behind on assignments and have so little motivation to do anything in regards to my course its actually laughable. this course would allow me to go to university if i get the right grades to study nursing but i couldn't think of anything worse for me personally than becoming a nurse. so my question to you is; do i drop my course (im 17 and in the uk you can leave school at 16) and pursue my dreams of becoming a screenwriter, or do i pull myself together and get realistic and submit to the life that i don't particularly want. I'm in the process of looking at literary agents but not sure if i should just grow up and do my college work...help?

Favorite Answer

Stay in school and earn enough college credits so you can transfer to a a 4 year college that offers bachelors degree programs with majors in theatre or film. Or CHANGE YOUR degree program to something other than health sciences. I have THREE bachelors degrees with majors in American history geology and physical geography. I tried to become a professional astronomer. That was my passion, but I had and probably still have math testing anxiety. My master's degree is in geology.

You CAN CHANGE YOUR MAJOR multiple times OR DEGREE PROGRAM. 

My sister's high school boyfriend sold his first film script at age 22. He had just finished a film degree at U. of Southern California (USC), one of the top film schools in the U.S. The program allowed him to make contacts that helped sell that first film script and helped launch his successful career as a screenwriter. Quentin Tarantino and Guy Ritchie never even finished high school, but they made contacts that helped them get started. Take some screenwriting courses, change your major if you need to, and get into a program that will set you up for internships or help you develop contacts in the TV or film industries. You are young and have time to follow your dream. But recognize that your dream is a long shot and most wanna-be screenwriters are not successful. When you are waiting tables and living on scraps at 32, you may wish you had stayed in healthcare.

You're a kid with a kid's nonsensical fantasies of writing a million-pound script. You have NO training in writing, and specifically screenwriting. You have nothing to interest any agent - all of whom are flooded with wannabes who have never published so much as a short story or magazine article while their competition DO have master's degrees in Creative Writing, references & portfolio of published/produced work. You have not developed any references, recommendations, etc, from acknowledged experts in the field. You have no portfolio. First, you need to learn requirements of the business. And you need a suitable degree, and clips (bet you don't know what those are, so if you don't, that tells you how far you are from your goal).

This isn't an "either or" issue.  You can end your current college course and find something else that you like that is more realistic than jumping strait into being a screenwriter.  If you love writing take a course/get a degree in English so that you can teach or work as a copywriter -- or something where you could make a decent wage.  OR, you could apply to a film school/scriptwriting program where you'd have a chance to get some of your work critiqued and or produced as a student film --that's how many screenwriters get started now. 

I'm not sure a literary agent is going to help. Literary agents help sell books to publishers.  If you want to be a screen writer, you need an agent or access to studio executives who'll option/purchase your script.  

There are thousands of would-be writers. There are are very small number of people who earn a living as a screenwriter, and even fewer who get their original scripts produced.  Most screenwriters write for TV, not plays or movies.  Maybe you're that one-in-a-million talent.  If so, getting a degree, learning more about your craft and working hard will more likely get you where you want to go.  

You can look at literary agents all you want - that doesn't mean they will look at you!  

Get your education, even if it means changing majors - you've got a long way to go and a lot of living to do before agents will take you seriously. That doesn't mean not to keep plugging away, if that's your dream - you can walk and chew gum at the same time. But definitely get an education while you can. Education is never wasted.