How many breaks am I entitled to?

Hey guys

So I work as a carer I do 13 hour shifts per day without one single break

At first I thought this was normal as this is my first job in care but now it’s so incredibly draining I just can’t do it anymore, especially without breaks. 

I’m only part time and also in university, my contract hours are 24 but I’m doing 52 p/W and I hate it

• MS

If you are in the US, these policies are set by your state department of labor.

10 minutes after two hours. (Paid)

20 minutes (lunch) after four hours. (UNPAID)

10 minutes after six hours but only if there are two more hours work.  (Paid)

This presumes an 8 hour work day.

Employers may allow more, but not less. In my state.

The U.S. Fair Labor Standards Act has no requirement for rest or meal breaks. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires employers to provide all workers with prompt access to a clean restroom; otherwise, nothing. You need to be paid overtime for any hours worked in excess of 40 hours /week (or 80 hours /two weeks in some hospital settings).

Some states, however, have requirements for rest or meal breaks or both, for some or all occupations:https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/rest-period...

Dept. of Labor Wage and Hour mandates that if you work 6 hours or more, you are entitled to a half hour lunch break.  If you work 8 hours, you get two 15-minute breaks and one half hour break.  If you work 12 hours, you get TWO half hour lunch breaks and two 15-minute breaks.  Years ago, WalMart had to pay out BIG in a class-action lawsuit for denying their employees breaks.  If you are meeting with resistance from your employer, you can file a complaint with DOL wage and Hour on their website.