Anonymous

Why do people study majors in college that they are already good at? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of education?

People who are good at math might major in math or physics or engineering, but if the goal of education from a liberal education standpoint is to become more well rounded and educated in a multitude of areas, shouldn’t that math oriented person major in something different? If I’ve been writing computer code since I was 13, what’s the point in majoring in computer science if I already know everything about it? If I spent all my free time in high school reading about history, why would I want to major in history? Someone would gain a much wider skill set if they chose a major they didn’t know much about or something very challenging outside of their comfort zone or area of interest or expertise. Yet people tend to major in their comfort zones and don’t really evolve as a person and expand their knowledge into cross disciplines 

No.  Computer science is a complex field and you don't know everything there is to know about it.  Focus on building upon your strengths not your weaknesses.  If you don't know much about what you're majoring in (or if you major in your weakness) the risk of failure is much greater.  You're gonna have a difficult time and you're really not doing yourself any favors by being unfocused and scattering yourself all over the place like that.  It seems counterintuitive but trust me it's a mistake to major in something you know absolutely nothing about.

That's essentially how the job market works.  You get pigeon-holed into whatever field you have work experience in regardless of whether it's related to your major or not.  They want someone who's skilled in one thing and can do that thing repetitively every damn boring day of their life.  As a 'computer scientist' (if there even is such a thing) they don't give a hoot how much you know about pointillist technique, gender studies or the history of rock and roll.

It's wise to choose a major, and therefore a career path, in areas your areas of strength and interest.  You'll be more successful and happy that way.

• John

A well-rounded education does not mean that one should major in a subject unrelated to his career goals.  The primary reason most people attend college is to prepare themselves to enter the career they desire.  While obtaining that in-depth career-related knowledge, the student is also introduced to the basics of a number of different subjects.  Those introductory classes provide the well-rounded education. 

• MS

Because they're smart enough to recognize that they don't know EVERYTHING on the subject.  And because just saying "I'm good at that" won't get anyone a job.

• fcas80

"If I’ve been writing computer code since I was 13, what’s the point in majoring in computer science if I already know everything about it? "

If you are convinced that statement is accurate, then yes, major in something you know nothing about.

Instead, you might ask, what else is there to learn about computer science, and you might be surprised that you don't know everything.   

College level mathematics is light years more advanced than high school mathematics.

• Damien

you dont need to go to college to get education, u can do that by reading a textbook at home by yourself, u go to college to get that degree,  im slow at learning programming, id rather learn it on my own at home rather than taking it in school and failing and wasting money, thats the reason why people take what theyre good at in school, so that they dont get a failing grade.

So they can give their future employer an extremely expensive piece of paper that says they’re good at it.