Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Should Christians eschew practices derived from Asian religions such as yoga and mindfulness?

No, but nude or sexual yoga is out.

I have a bias but I think so. Here is a super easy mindfulness exercise tell me how this could possibly be against christ to do.

What do you taste? What do you see? What do you hear? Are you flat or on an angle? Say to yourself what position you are in now. What do you feel on your back, feet, and in your stomach? Repeat until calm.

I get that your Christian identity is important to you. But this isn't exactly me telling you to offer your child to some pagan blood god.

• ?

Christianity is an Asian religion.

Christianity, Judaism and Islam are all Asian religions. They all began in Asia with Asian leaders, prophets and gods.

Derivation is one thing. The main objective is a whole 'nother thing. 

• No!

Are you wrong, True Christians avoid religious people like you, who are part of the antichrist?

No, I don't think so. It's possible to utilize such practices without following the religion they come from.

• John S

Depends upon the individual Christian.. there are good and bad aspects to these practices. 

As you mentioned - you can get deeper into an entire philosophy, morality, view of the world, etc. -- basically a religion.

So as it is with many things -- it can be overdone and moderation is KEY.

IF you ONLY use it for discipline, relaxation, exercise, etc.  - no problem.

If your faith is strong enough that you won't get sucked into the more religious aspects - no problem.

If you pepper in your own Christian beliefs so that you meditate ON Christ or God, or how to be a better Christian - Even BETTER.

IF you sprinkle in some Christian prayer and Christian meditation - Even BETTER

I think that some Christians, Pastors, and Priests advise against it because they've seen people get to sucked in or hyper-focused on the new-age elements of yoga and mindfulness and eventually be led AWAY from God partly because of it. 

As with all things -- you want to minimize things which distract you from God and Christianity.

I mean the same can be said about secular music, sexualized content, certain movies, materialism, etc. 

• Carmen

No reason for that. Christians aren't going to be practicing yoga as a religion. And mindfulness isn't a concept exclusive to Asia. 

The clergy will emphatically say no..but do whatever you feel comfortable with..