How do i file my taxes with unemployment from corona virus, the extra 600 a week, my job and grant from college?

Im totally confused on how to even do a tax estimator calculator for all those i listed. Should i use a professional tax service? Do i use 4 or 5 different forms or one 1040ez and include those different incomes all at once?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

All income goes on one return  There is no 1040z any more

• 1 month ago

One 1040 for all the income.  You only ever file one 1040.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Form 1040EZ no longer exists. You report all your income sources on a single 1040.  You will receive (or may have to download) a 1099G which will show the total unemployment you received and any taxes withheld.  Your grant may or may not be taxable income depending on if you performed any services in exchange for it or whether it was scholarship money. You should be able to do your taxes yourself with any off the shelf software.  You may qualify to use one of the "free-file" programs listed on the IRS website.  Make sure you have all your tax papers before you file. When all else fails, read the directions.

• 1 month ago

If you have a job doing research or being a TA or something in college, ask other students in similar jobs what they are doing.  Most things are simple at the root, even taxes, as long as you don't psych yourself out that they are hard.

I'd suggest trying TurboTax first, and just answering the interview questions.  If that gets too confusing, then yes, go to a professional.  Don't wait, there's a mad scramble later in the year.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.