Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

If you went to your friends and family saying "Jesus saved me! I've become a Christian!", how would they react?

Favorite Answer

I already know how they would react. I used to be a crack cocaine addict when I got out of recovery all of my ex drug buddies looked at me like I was stupid or something.

Well unfortunately they're all dead now nobody changed their way except for one person and they're still alive

WHY DO WE NEED THE RANSOM? A ransom is the price paid to release a person from the threat of death. (Exodus 21:29,30) Death and old age were not part of God's original purpose for mankind. How do we know that? God told the first man, Adam, that if he committed what the Bible calls "sin," he would die. so if Adam had not sinned , he would never have died .(Genesis 2:16, 17 ; 5:5) According to the Bible, death "entered" the world of mankind through Adam. Thus, Adam passed on to all his descendants sin and penalty, death. We need a ransom to release us from the penalty of death that we inherited from Adam. Read Romans 5:12; 6;23. WHO COULD PAY THE RANSOM TO FREE US FROM DEATH? When we die, we pay the penalty only for our own sins. No imperfect man can pay for the sins of others.   WHAT IS JESUS DOING NOW? ? When on earth, Jesus cured the sick, raised the dead, and rescued people in peril. He thereby demonstrated what he will do in the future for all obedient mankind. ( Matthew 15:30, 31; John 5:28) After Jesus died, God restored him to life as a spirit person. ( 1 Peter 3:18) Jesus then waited at God's right hand until Jehovah gave him power to rule as King over all the earth. ( Hebrews 10:12,13) Now Jesus is ruling as King in heaven, and his followers are announcing that good news worldwide. Read Daniel 7:13,14; Matthew 24:14. Soon , Jesus will use his power as King to bring an end to all suffering and to those who cause it. All who exercise faith in Jesus by obeying him will enjoy life in a paradise on earth. Read Psalm 37:9-11. For more information JW.ORG

Maybe suspect the onset of severe mental illness, or that I finally just f*cking cracked? (Spent a bit TOO much time hanging out with occasionally slightly psychotic bipolar partner, perhaps..? :-P) Or a VERY weird psychedelic experience? (I love the heck out of those! But.. ain't led me to Christianity, so far. Did snap me out of hardline atheism, and substantially and permanently change my lived reality as far as spirituality goes, though.) Or that I was just thoroughly f*cking broken by this pandemic, and just recently coming down with and recovering from COVID-19, myself? (Crazy little misadventure THAT was...) Or... I don't even know! As for what I think they would SAY, though?

"Ehhhhh... Are you okay? Haven't you finally had it with these intense, crazy phases now? Plus you know you've already been through this Christianity stuff, and rejected it, right? What's different now?"

I think it would just come COMPLETELY out of left field, to the point that it wouldn't make ANY damn sense, as based on how they know me! Plus also, they know I would NEVER word myself in that way, even if I DID finally convert, and "see the light of Jesus". Sh*t's just not how I am... I would NEVER be preachy about any kind of spiritual or religious anything! I've been down too many different paths, and had too many humbling experiences, that have shown me different people live different realities for different reasons. All I ever say, when I discover some awesome thing, that works for me..? Is: "this sh*t is awesome! I love it!" And perhaps SLIGHTLY encourage people to try it... But never this weird, evangelistic, absolutist, sort of inherently condescending "Jesus saved me" crap.

• Den B7

They'd say, "So what? We've always been Christians."

My brothers think I’m nuts! Mom said I’m so glad! Dad said that’s good son! I know I didn’t say this before but I’m proud of you  son! 

Would depend on their feelings about the Christian faith.

• Paul

Obviously that would depend on whether they were knowledgeable of this reality, or largely ignorant of it.

Unless you have become a Christian why this question.  It doesn't matter how the family reacts its what you believe and have proven to yourself that matters.  I don't think you really know what a true Christian is.

They would say, "yes, we know, why are you telling us something so obvious?"

It happened for me:

My friends deserted me... wanting nothing to do with me, treating me like I was crazy.

My family - being stuck with me - have chosen the way of "Let's play along.... we'll humour her."

Whenever I speak of my faith or godly matters I face dismissal from them... they brush my words off as inconsequential and irrelevant. One has even said to me "Jesus is REDUNDANT."

That's terrifying - because I know Him... and He will treat everyone exactly the same way they treat Him. Dismiss Him and He will dismiss you.

Depends on who you are. 

On their level of love and understanding.

Is best to guard your association and realize bad association spoils useful habits...

I am not a nun but a special Catholic Sister who has been told by one of God's Special workers is important to go to other churches at times in order to help.