Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsOther - News & Events · 1 month ago

Which of these is acceptable in British stand up comedy...mocking Germanics, mocking blacks?

Update:

Why are British answerers talking about American politics, which was not asked about?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

There was a time when comedians could make jokes about anybody, but now I doubt if they can even mock the Germans or the French any more. Nobody can make jokes about Jamaicans, or Africans or Japanese because they are not white. 

But then I was watching the Apollo the other night on Dave tv, and there was a rather dark comedian making really offensive jokes about white people. But he is allowed to do that because he is not white. 

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Definitely mocking the Germans.  They are our enemies, like the French, who don't even bother to hide it.   Lots of Brits are black.  Also mocking the Jocks is OK because they would all of them be pikeys if they could afford the caravans.

• miffy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Mocking anybody is OK in  British comedy.

But you must mock them because of what they actually  do and not because of the group they belong to.

So taking the rise out of Germans and blacks and the English is fine. 

In fact there a German standup (Henning Wehn) who makes a good living in England making fun of the English and appears regularly on English TV  . 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A lot of comedy has moved on from sterotypes and minority bashing

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

british have a different sense of humor compared to america , same as germans have a different humor . mocking blacks is ok by german and british standards , and american look at blacks differently .

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is Year Zero, and humour has been cancelled. Anyone laughing at someone else's misfortune (unless the subject is a white English gammon), is committing thought-crime.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Depends whether it's offensive or not 

• 1 month ago

In these PC times, 'mocking' any specific group of people is a no-no.   It's supposed to be clever, but it's not.  Still I do believe that PC-ness can go too far and a sense of humour has to be injected.   Mocking Germans, as happened loads in the past, is not especially relevant these days.

• 1 month ago

Mocking the good lord Jesus, who is the most forgiving and mightiest man. You will be poked in hell forever if you laugh or make a mockery of Jesus.

Source(s): The bible
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I've never heard any one mock a Germanic, or even use that word to describe anyone outside of the Dark Ages

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Virtually all comedy relies on making fun of some other group. These people who think it's wrong have no sense of humour. Classic British radio comedies Beyond Our Ken, Round the Horne etc, voted best of all time, I've noticed they've now started saying before they're broadcast, these programmes have values "of their time". But they're voted the best comedies?!?!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.