? asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

I am a Vietnam vet. When I came home I was treated like a scumbag, why isn't this talked about more in the mainstream, I feel its covered up?

As soon as I got off the airport people gave me dirty looks and 1 guy spit on me and called me a baby killer and ran away

I was told not to wear my uniform in public because I risk being beaten up, so I never did.

I was at a restaurant and some hippies there found out I served !y country and they set my car on fire

I went to take a taxi to get hone and I told the taxi driver I almost lost my arm over there and he said good Serves you right and told me to never hire him again

I was dating this girl and after she found out I was a vet she was ok with it but her father told me to stay away from his daughter or else he would harm me

I tried to get a job and was denied and they hired draft dodgers 

I went to the movies and this guy tried to beat me up for serving, and I almost ended up having to break arm in self defense

• gerald
    Favorite Answer

Your government gave you the licence to kill its tragic for you to get the blame for wrong doing you should be innocent till proven guilty by your country folk 

You are no more a Vietnam Veteran than I am and not a word of what you say is true 

That is the unfortunate consequence of being caught up in a war that became an international embarrassment.

Sorry, I was a child when that war ended.  I've been to the Wall in DC, I could barely walk the length of it and afterwards when my friends wanted to see it, I would sit on the grass nearby because of the pain it caused me. I knew some people that served then and later when I served I meant many more that were there - I learned more from them than I did from any other training.

Enough with the civilian crap. You served and while you did you survived because you adapted to the battlefield. Now you are stuck back then and have not adapted to how times have changed.  I expect more from every troop I commanded and I expect more from you. There are people that are willing to help, if you are willing to accept it, and understand that many of us respect your service But personally I' m ordering you to move on and realize that you can and are accepted.

It is the 'baby killing' bit.   My Lai 4 and all that.