What would be the best way to ask out my friend?

I’m a guy and I’ve got a friend who is a girl. We r both in our early 20s. So here’s the deal. I’ve had a crush on my girl friend for a long time. And I want to ask her out. When we first met, she had a boyfriend. So naturally, I never made a move. She’s was then heartbroken and single. So I never made a move. Just recently, she started spending a lot of time with an ex (different guy than before). Basically, they flirt, and they’ve been intimate to my knowledge. When they were in a relationship. I can’t be sure if they are now. Basically, I want to beat this ex here, and ask my friend out on a date. Which approach is better? Telling her how she needs a real man to take her out on a date, or just tell her I’m craving ribs or something, and if she wants to go to dinner? I’m just afraid if I’m not direct she will just think we f two friends at dinner.

• James

The bad news is that if you've been her friend for a while you're probably in the friend-zone. You can't make a girl fall in love with you. So be prepared to for the possibility that she's not into you. Be prepared to move on, if that's the case.

That said, do NOT pour your heart out and confess that you've been in love with her for ages. That sh*t never works. What you need to do is ask her out on a date. Ask her what kind of food she likes (if you don't already know), then tell her you want to take her to restaurant.

Given that you've been her friend, it may not be clear that you are intending this as an actual date rather than a friendly hangout. So you need to flirt with her: A bit of sexual innuendo thrown into your humor, a casual touch now once in a while, but be careful not to cross the line. The idea is to express interest to her, not to make her think you're a horn-dog who only wants to get in her pants. If she is responding positively, then you may escalate. But if she isn't responding, back off and maybe try again another time. It may take a few dates for her to come around.

As I said before, though, be prepared to move on if she's not into you.

i would just ask her out

i know from experience that trying to compete with another guy, especially if the two of them have chemistry, is not a great idea, i think that you should be honest with her about your feelings, but don't get upset if she is interested in the other guy.

also chances are, if he's already an ex lover, they're already more than friends since it's impossible to go back to being only friends with someone you loved

Tell her you have to end your friendship. Tell her you are doing so you can ask her out. 

(Time,  date, activity.) Thursday dinner this restaurant, this time, I want you with me.

Don't get weak and say as friends or its harmless. 

Be warm but utterly confident.  If it fails say you will ask in 2 weeks in case she actually values your company. (Good enough as a friend,  good enough for dating.)

Ask her to get coffee or a beer on your nearest weekend, if she says anything but yes then she's not interested. Women will never tell you no straight up because they still want favors from you.