Tax Question ?

My husband and I have been separated since Feb of last year. We aren't divorced yet and he will be filing married filing separate and I will be filing head of household. He has been staying with friends here and there and still uses my address for important things. Do I need to make him use a different address on his taxes or does that even matter? Someone please tell me ASAP! I don't any issues this year I'm depending! 

5 Answers

  • Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    If he doesn't have a fixed address, have him rent a PO box or use a parent's address.  As others have said he should not be using your address on his return as it will make it look like you are still living together.

  • 1 month ago

    It would be best if he did not use your address, unless you can somehow otherwise prove he has not lived with you even one single night since July 1.  Otherwise, you will not qualify as HoH.

  • 1 month ago

    It does matter.  First, he needs to use the address where he is living because the government makes him, not because you do.  Second, if he uses the same address as you, then it will look like you are still living together, which would mean that you don't qualify to file as head of household.

  • Shay
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    If his income is higher than your income - I would make him use a different address for filing his taxes.

    In order for you to legally claim as head of household while still married, you need to be able to prove that YOU paid for more than 50% of the household expenses and you need to prove that he did not live with you for the last six months of the year.

    If he uses your address, then the IRS might think that he still lives with you AND they might consider his income as part of YOUR household.  Both of these things could kill your HOH claim.

    Make him use a different address.

    Even with him using a different address, if you haven't done any kind of separation paperwork or filed for divorce yet, you might still end up needing to prove your HOH claim with proof of paying for your household expenses.  But making him use a different address is a great start for your claim.  

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    You can both use the same address, regardless of your filing status.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.