Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My parents force me to sing?

Next week there's an upcoming party and my mom's friend Sam wants me to sing some songs infront of everyone there. My mom is forcing me to do it or she'll take my fishhook necklace away from me forever even though I bought it with my own money. I really don't want to sing at the party because there's going to be a lot of people I never met before and I like to keep my singing a secret. My mom understands this but still insists I sing at the party because I have an amazing voice. I really like my fishhook neckace because it reminds me of surfing. My mom knows that I love my fishhook necklace so much, that's why she wants to permanently confiscate it If I turn down Sam's request. She told me that since I like my fishhook necklace alot it doesn't matter if I paid for it. I don't want to sing at the party but I don't want to lose my fishhook necklace either so I expressed my feelings to my mom but she got really mad at me. I tried talking to my dad but he agrees with my mom saying that whether I like it or not I will either comply with Sam's request or I'll lose my fishhook necklace and I'll not get it back ever again and if I complain about it again I'll be grounded until further notice. 

this is similar to my previous question.

Favorite Answer

not much you can do but sing if you want to keep your neckace

Time to let your light shine! No good keeping it hidden and secret. Let it shine!   I've performed in front of quite a few people in a variety of venues and there is ONE thing I've learned.... everyone wants to enjoy their life. They want to enjoy the choices they make, they want to enjoy their entertainments. What that MEANS is that they are all on your side! They are there to have fun! Not to be judgmental and disapproving. So let their love of fun sweep over you and give you strength and love to return in kind. That's a whole lot of what "performance" is. Cycling energy. 

You certainly are musically inclined.  Your post four weeks ago said you were at least twenty years old and you play the violin.   It's time to put your big girl pants on and tell mommy and daddy what you actually want.

You've already asked this once, remember?  That time it was about playing violin.  Before that it was about being forced to pose for photographs.  Before that it was your belief that fairies/genies are real.  I suspect there are some issues.  ANYWAY, I don't believe you.  If I DID believe you (and the claim that you have an "amazing voice") I'd tell you to discuss ALL of your issues with a mandated reporter - a nurse, a clergy person, a teacher - and let Child Protective Services make the decision whether or not you are being abused.  The whole "fish hook" necklace thread is unbelievable.

.

So, without training you have an "amazing voice" AND play violin?  I play violin, but I took lessons.  Yes, there's nothing like a house party with a child singing her lungs out.

.

EDIT:  MOST interesting that 2 years ago you were "over 20."  As I said, "some issues" involved with singing, your parents and the fishhook necklace PLUS being grounded?  Pack up your violin and your sheet music and MOVE OUT.

• T J

Your mother is a POS. let her have the darn necklace and do not sing. Maybe go hide in your backyard.  And say nothing.  At the party take off the necklace and hand it to her and run from her and her friend