Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Do you think grocery store workers should get paid an extra $4hr because they're putting themselves at risk of covid19 working w/the public?

Update:

people say the store workers are putting themselves at risk but what about the drs and nurses that are working with the patients that have covid19?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

No, I believe employers should be requires to meet certain health and safety standards and I believe high-risk workers should be allowed to work in modified conditions without loss of wages....but a blanket raise "just because" would only lead to abuse and higher costs for all.

First, let us remember that we are talking about a "pandemic" with a better than 99% survival rate and well-documented risk factors. Start paying "hazard pay" now and you'll be creating a "class system" where workers that work in group or public settings will demand higher pay than those with less exposure.  The cause will no longer be the issue...the benefit will be expected just because you've set the precedent.

Food prices are already up in California over 20% since the mandated wage increases started taking effect.  A fast-food meal that cost $6 three years ago not costs over $9.... if you say "so what" I don't eat that junk" guess what... the people that DO eat it are the ones you claim to be "helping" with your wage manipulation...

This is just another scheme to hide a struggling economy by forcing "feel good" incremental wage increases in hopes that things will get better on their own before people realize that their costs are rising at a much higher rate... 

• 1 month ago

I believe such workers should receive free protective equipment, such as barriers at the checkout, masks, face shields, gloves, and for stocking, work hours when there will be few customers in the store, if any.

Beyond that, I would need to see the data as to the number of excess deaths or at least illnesses in that sector.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The USA CAN AFFORD $25 an hour Minimum wage Us poor Australians pay $20 an Hour  Time the USA put Illegals out of work and support their Own People

• 1 month ago

i think it's stupid because when the 120 days is over the workers are gonna complain about going back to what they were making. when the workers pay increase the store prices can increase. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

By that logic people working in meat packing plants deserve a $20/hour bonus.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think anyone right now who works with the public deserves more than minimum wage. This includes people who work at all types of stores, teachers, police, fire department and so on. They are all putting themselves at risk. Plus many people are just jerks in today's world.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Hazard pay is an accepted concept. Inner city Chicago teachers get it.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

No, you should get paid for what you do.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Check with moonshot on that.  He says that sanitizing shopping carts at walmart is risky business. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, at least that much. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.