Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 month ago

How did you feel about Enid Blyton and gollywogs?

• Laredo

When I was growing up I did not realise that it was a racist remark, perhaps because we did not know or even see any coloured people. Like the other answerers the only gollywogs I saw were on the jar of Robertsons' Golden Shred Marmalade. 

I do not think that when Enid Blyton wrote her stories she was being racist either.

I Loved Gollywogs and at that time in my life, was completely unaware of any prejudices against black people. 

I collected the different pictures of Gollywogs that were on Robertson's Jam Jars to get my Free Gollywog Badge. 

I cannot remember anyone getting upset over Gollywogs and most toddlers had one.

But then in the late 1940`s and early 50`s it was fairly rare to even see a real live black person where I lived and if they were seen, we would stare at them in awe. 

Children are so innocent and unbiased and take their cue from adults reactions as they mature. 

I must admit growing up in he 70s the golly wogs in her books never  crossed my mind about it being insulting to coloured people 

I also remember the golly wogs on Robertson jam jars. Also back then there was a television programme called the Black and White minstrels show.

I must admit it was all part of the culture back then, and I know that it does not fit in with the snow flake , BAME culture that exists today

Gosh I do miss the gollywogs on the jam jars!