Houdini asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Another company cuts ties with My Pillow. Is there nothing Trump touches that does not turn to shlt?

Favorite Answer

Normally I don’t consider the CEOs political views when choosing what products to buy. Most business people don’t make their politics widely known. As much as I dislike trump, I never even considered boycotting Goya foods just because the CEO admitted to being a Trump supporter. But when a company or CEO involves themself in political issues and uses their platform to push their political views, they can’t be surprised when people start boycotting their products (especially when their views are so extreme). Mike Lindell has gone on TV to discuss politics and his support for some of Trump’s most extreme ideas. He even went to the White House to meet with trump, and was photographed carrying a paper that said “martial law” on it. He also tried to promote and sell a fake covid cure over the summer. I can understand why retailers who sold his pillows would cut ties with his company. 

Normally, I think it’s best to let consumers decide what products to buy based on their own political views. But when a product has become widely associated with a controversial idea, it’s going to affect business. This is why businesses should avoid getting involved in politics. 

A few years back, I was working at a pizzeria and I tried to tell the owner to avoid incorporating anything political into his business. He had a photo in the window of the former governor and a few other politicians eating pizza (not at our restaurant). He thought it was just highlighting everyone’s love of pizza. He also had a pasta special called the “Obama special” (this was in 2008).  It caused a lot of angry reviews online. I told the owner he should avoid doing anything political because there would always be people who have a problem. Getting involved in politics can have devastating consequences for a business. 

Mike Lindell is mad that retailers are dropping his products, but that’s a consequence of his involvement in controversy. He absolutely has freedom of speech, but companies that do business with him have every right to decide they don’t want to be associated with that controversy. He put his politics ahead of his business and now he’s paying the price. If he wanted to protect his company, he shouldn’t have used his status as CEO as a way to spread his extremely unpopular political opinions. We all have the right to keep our votes and political views a secret. He chose not to, and now he’s suffering the consequences. I’m a democrat, but if I owned a business, I would keep it politically neutral, and make all people feel welcome. 

Midas backward spells Sadim.

Nope.   I've been posting that fact for 4 years.  Glad someone else finally figured that out.  Better late than never.

• Rayal

I was in a Kohl's the other day shopping for a new pillow.

The shelves were filled with choices.  In the back corner looking sad were the "my pillows"  over priced and abandoned.

Nobody was buying them due to the overabundance of less expensive and better pillows available.  

I wouldn't buy this seditionists pillows if I had to sleep on a rock instead. I don't like traitors to the Constitution.

T-Rump has a habit of discarding individuals when they don't comply with his "loyalty" standards.  Look at the Republican party backing a loser.

You are correct. History shows there is nothing that Donald Trump touches that turns to ****. And his supporters still have it on their shoes.

Liberal companies cutting ties with people who conservative views is nothing new and quite PC these days.   

My Pillow had a record day of sales a few days ago after the woke brigade tried to cancel his business. 

Who'd a thunk that Treason would be bad for business?