Anonymous

Are “we Americans”, “Our Country”, “America First”, only referring to White Americans?

• Craig
    Favorite Answer

What's going through the speaker's mind when they utter such phrases is different from person to person.  Certainly there are quite a few European-Americans who think they're referring specifically to a country that has laws and policies designed for the welfare and benefit of European-Americans - and NOT to benefit others at the EXPENSE of European-Americans.

That COULD be the thinking of nearly HALF of European-Americans.  (There is even a smaller fraction who think it refers only to English-speaking, Christian, European-Americans.)

The other half (and presumably 100% of Americans who are not of European descent) are much more likely to think they're referring to the stereotypical "melting pot" vision of the USA, where the assumption is that ALL who attempt to co-exist are included.

So, when you hear such phrases, remember that they can actually mean different things, depending upon who is speaking.

I like the question and I'm not sure I can answer it.

What I would say is that despite many accusations of racism (some justified), many people of all backgrounds would love to live in America.  So well done America, you must be doing something right.

Source(s): (I'm white British with no great desire to live in USA).

Negative, no matter what racist say America is a melting pot and it has never been a white country 😊