Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 month ago

Why is the drinking age 21 in the US?

In my country you can drink beer and wine at 14 as long as you have permission from an adult. and at 16 you can drink soft alcoholic drinks without permission. and at 18 you can drink hard liquor. this is how it should be in the US. you're legally an adult at 18 so what's the point of restricting them from drinking? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It was raised to 21 years ago due to the number of traffic deaths involving young people and alcohol.

• 1 month ago

That is what they decided is the appropriate age to drink hun.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

I'm pretty sure back in the day it was meant as a means to keep alcohol out of schools or from affecting schooling. Obviously, it doesn't really work, but the hope is that the consequences will be enough to deter them.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There are many exemptions to the drinking age in the US: https://drinkingage.procon.org/states-that-allow-u...

To answer your question, states can lower the drinking age but would lose federal funding. And the reason for that, organizations such as MADD lobbied for it, if you really want to know more there’s plenty of information on the web. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I've often wondered that. You have to be 21 to buy alcohol get drunk and fall down, yet, when you are only 18, you can buy a rifle? Madness.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

14 years old is way too young to drink any type of alcohol.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

ask YOUR MAYOR....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.