Is it better to take 4 or 5 classes per semester?

5 classes you get more knowledge

• jim

4 is fine why would you want to take 5 lol. That seems crazy.

Community college or 4 year University? At a cc you could do more since there's less work.m and it's easier. At a University, if it's 18 credits or more, it's going to be too much. If you're at a top school, it's just impossible.

For University, 16 credits is the upper limit I'd suggest. I've done 20 credits one semester, I had to have permission to do it. It was my second year but it was the hardest semester I had even though the material was easier compared to my later years and even less work for class, but it just piled on. So it also depends on where your are in your life, there is such a thing as getting good at school, by the time you're a senior you are pretty good at the day in day or and have an overall higher tolerance for working longer hours and contending with harder material. In your earlier years you don't have that skill set and too heavy a load can shock your system basically.

Typical course load is 15-16 credit hours per semester. That would be 5 3-credit courses, or 4 4-credit courses, or some combination adding up to at least 15-16 credit hours per semester.

Better in what way?

As others have noted, to graduate in four years, a student general needs to take an average of 30 credits hours per year.  That tends to translate into five classes each of two semesters.

That noted, some students are better served taking fewer classes per term.  The goal isn't just attending the class or even earning the credit.  Ultimately, mastering the content of the class so you can apply that knowledge and earning a good grade in each course are more important.  

• drip

For university? In the USA? 

You need to take 15 credits per semester to have a chance at graduating in four years. Most majors require 120 credits.

That could mean 4-6 classes depending on how many credits each class is worth.

• Scott

If you want to graduate on schedule, you need to take five classes every semester.