Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 month ago

Photography question! ?

Is a photograph an objective representation of reality (something not influenced by the biases and personal feelings of the photographer)? Or is it a subjective representation of reality (influenced by the thoughts, feelings, and biases of the photographer)? Provide examples that would support both of these concepts and analyze and explain them.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

A photograph is not necessarily objective. It only includes things that a photographer wants to include. Further, a photographer can be creative, and make a photo of something that is not real. For example, a double exposure photograph can combine two different scenes that are not otherwise present in nature. You can use a double exposure for example to include Donald Trump and the Dalai Lama in the same photo even if they have never met. Also look at the photo below of cars moving on a freeway at night. Is it reality? You tell me.

Attachment image
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Homework?

It's an essay. You can write anything about the topic and not get it wrong. You are grade on how you develop and discuss your thoughts. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

What things are selected to be photograph and how can be as much an artistic decision as any other work. You need only to look at the photography of someone like Margaret Bourke-White to see what is possible. Often in her case it is the juxtaposition of  images that give often ironic consequences - but none of it is accidental.

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A photo can be objective or subjective.  I'm pretty sure you can figure out which types of photos are which.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

As the saying goes: In any photo there are at least two people: The photographer and the viewer, or to paraphrase Ansel Adams "My photos do not show reality but how I remember reality"

• snafu
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Neither and both.  It depends on what genre of photography you’re engaged in.  That also informs how personal an attitude one brings to bear on the work.  

• 1 month ago

If you provide us with your teacher's email address we can submit our answers directly - it speeds things up no end!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.