Is an 08 Hyndai Accent with 100k miles worth $2000?

I just spoke with the owner and took the car for a test drive. The car is manual transmission with  slightly faded paint and a missing passenger door handle. He said that he bought the car by accident. Well, the actual owner is his wife. I drives good and smooth. I am thinking of buying it. 

Thank you 

It's entirely up to you - all cars are a crap shoot.

Make sure that the wife is aware that he is selling it - since if she is the owner, she will be the one you have to deal with to get the title.

You would be amazed how many times I've seen people try to sell a vehicle without their spouse's knowledge (especially if they are divorced).

You would be equally amazed how many times I've seen people 'buy' a vehicle, but fail to get a title - meaning they didn't actually 'buy' jack or sh**.

Depends. How healthy is the car? It's not worth more than $1500.

• Ron

No Huyandai is worth 2 grand

Ask for the title.  Ask for the title again.  Ask for the title a third time.  No title, run as fast as you can.

i wouldnt do 2,000 for it. i would offer like 1500 after doing a thorough inspection because it's going to be annoying to have to get a new door handle and maybe fix the paint.

'Bought the car by accident' ?  Wonder how that happens?  EBay?

If the maintenance is perfect and the body was perfect, it may be worth $2000.  I suspect he can not vouch for maintenance much less produce records.   Body sounds a bit sketchy.  

I would offer $1000, as is, pending a mechanical inspection.

• ?

Only worth it if you have another pot of cash for potential upcoming repairs or maintenance items that may not be cheap. Best to take it to a qualified mechanic for a pre-sale inspection so you know what to expect in the near term. Otherwise you might end up with a one-handled lawn ornament you can't afford to repair.

Just about any car that starts, drives, turns, stops and doesn't smell like moldy cigarette butts on the inside is worth $2,000

If that's your budget for a vehicle then I doubt you're going to find anything much better.

I would not buy it.

I put 170,000 worry-free miles on my '13 Veloster before giving it to my son. Also a manual transmission.

You should get another 100K out of it if it has been properly maintained.

I'd offer the guy $1500 and see if he'll haggle on the price.