Poll: Have you ever used a regular typewriter?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I am old enough that we had typewriters and not computers, yes.  I did not compose real documents using a computer-based system until the early 1980s in grad school.  In time to write my thesis on a computer instead of typing it out page by page, thank god.

And man oh man, was that a relief and a pleasure.  None of that inserting the paper sheet manually and adjusting it to be straight and with the right margin locations, none of the two keys sticking together if you typed too fast, none of the use of white-out to fix all the typos that were common, none of that slanted alignment mess, none of the accidental line advance too many spaces or none at all (making your line overtype what you just wrote) or any of that other crap.  Insert a line after the page was typed?  Not happening.  Might end up having to retype several pages if you do.

Yeah, I used typewriters for about 15 years and I was damn glad when I no longer had to.

• F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes in the early 80s typing up my university thesis.

• 1 month ago

No, I haven't hun.

• 1 month ago

Yes. I could do 70 words per minute on a manual typewriter. Learning to type in high school was the best electives I took. It got me a job (full time and later part time) working for a purchasing agent. I let me earn enough money to pay my way through college. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, I've used all sorts of typewriters over the years.  

• 1 month ago

Yes. I grew up learning to type in high school using a regular typewriter. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, I learned to type on an Olympia Typewriter in H.S. in the early 70s - parents had a very old portable typewriter at the house. 

• 1 month ago

Yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.