Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 1 month ago

Can I fix "Current Pending Sector" on my external hard drive?

I looked up my hard drive health from SMART and the only error or warning it was giving me is  "Current Pending Sector." Can I fix it or do i need to replace my hard drive. I Literally bought this a few months ago and don't have enough money to buy it again. 

You can force a write to it with the proper tools, like hdparm in Linux. This will either clear the pending sector if the write and subsequent read was successful, or trigger a remap to a spare sector. Something like

sudo hdparm –write-sector 123456789 –yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/sda

sudo hdparm --read-sector 123456789 /dev/sda

If you only got it a few months ago, though, it should be under warranty.

"bad" sectors are not reassigned to the "available but unused" sectors list, but are marked as bad and will not be used used by the o/s.  Decrease in total space on drive/partition is the indication that more bad sectors have been found.  My bet is that your supplier will tell you that a handfull of bad sectors is normal and won't replace the drive -- they'll want the number of bad sectors to reach at least 1 percent of the drive capacity before they do that.  -- grampa

• David

You can't fix this, basically the Current Pending sector means that the sector unstable, it may come right by itself if it reads correctly subsequently in which case the current pending sector flag will be removed or it might be marked as bad if it turns out to be unreadable, in which case it will be reallocated to the spare sector space. The current pending sector count will decrease but the reallocated sector count will increase

While a few pending sectors may not be anything to worry about if they stay at roughly the same number, or are transferred to reallocated sectors and do not drastically increase. Pending sectors turn to reallocated sectors, which re-map the data to spare sectors on the disk. If the reallocated sector count shows a progressive increase then this is an indicator of a failing hard drive.

If you bought the drive new I would contact the manufacturer as it will likely be under warranty. In the meantime make sure you have regular backups