Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

What? I just got permanently kicked out of Target store for no reason. Can they do this?

Today when I went to pick up my prescription from Target ( CVS) I was stopped by a staff and told that I could not enter the store. He told me to go talk to the guy by the front doors so I did. He gave me a line that he had asked me to leave the store before and I told him no he did not. No one ever told me to leave this store or any store. He said actually it was the security camera guy that said this to me. Again I told him again I have never been told by anyone to leave the store and never come back.

I asked what the grounds were and he said he( they) have the right to refuse service to anyone.

I wear a head scarf. I think this was discrimination. 

He wouldn't even let me pick up my prescription but as I argued with him that I need them he changed his mind and told me that I was only allowed to pick them up today but I was never allowed to enter their store again after this.

I asked him who his supervisor was but he said he was the supervisor. I told him I know theres someone over you and I want to know who he is and how I can contact him. He never gave me any info on him.

Can they just kick me out of their store and banish me for no reason?

No John, I was wearing the standard blue mask the kind that they give you at the hospital and I was wearing it right. 

• kswck2

Details are missing here. You did something you are not professing to. 

Was this in some assbackward red state

There is no doubt in my mind you're not telling us the whole story. 

Sue if this is legitimate 

Yes and no.  The store owner/management is not legally required to serve everyone who walks in the door.  So it depends on the reason why they are being banned as to whether it is legal to exclude someone.

In your case, without knowing more details, I think it is reasonable this is arguably a case of illegal exclusion and you should address it with the store manager (not just the "supervisor").  Or you could test the theory by having one of your (innocent) friends wear a similar head scarf and see if they are refused entry.  Get on video and you will have evidence and good cause to sue.

There WAS a reason, even if it is BS.

Yes, they can legally ban you as long as it isn't for as reason specifically prohibited by law.

Yes, private businesses have the right to deny service, as long as it is not discriminatory. This may be, but the burden of proof is on you. You cannot win by saying 'It's because I wear a head scarf'.  You would need documentation of a sufficient number of others who wear head scarves being denied service.  Such as video camera footage showing it. The store can also use video footage in its defense. Footage showing people with head scarves going about their business and being left alone makes it easy to argue that you and any others were banned for other reasons not related to wearing head scarves.

They can, but clearly they feel they have a reason, my guess is it's mistaken identity.  

they shouldnt be doing that if you didnt do anything wrong

Probably but who cares. Target is always doing stuff like this. That's why I never shop there. It's too expensive for what it is. I'm sure its not the only pharmacy in town. Just find a new one. I look forward to the day target goes out of business.