Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

If a man walks around a plaza everyday with the same car broke down story and asking for money, is it likely he's a professional panhandler?

At my local shopping plaza, there's this man who goes around and asks "sorry to bother you, my radiator hose gave out and I called roadside assistance but am $11 short... can you lend me $11 and I can lend you my driver's license for the time being?"

I've ran into that man at least 3 or 4 times and he told the exact same story each different time. I've seen him approach other people seemingly telling them that story as well.

I have a feeling he's being dishonest and chances are even if I give him the money he says he needs without asking that he return it, either way he will just ask someone else with his exact same story.

How likely is it that this man is telling an untrue story and is just panhandling for a living? 

Don't trust anyone asking or begging for money alone zxjq

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

Of course he is a professional panhandler.  The same story several times a day.  Sometimes their stories change but in this case he's had success with this $11 story.  So yes, he is dishonest, and no, don't give him money.  You might let the shopping plaza management know about this guy, because anyone who hangs around in shopping centers or parking lots is bad for business.  I'd be surprised if others haven't already complained and that he hasn't been busted already.  He'll eventually be told to leave the plaza, and then he'll just go elsewhere and tell his same $11 story.

Of course that is what he is doing. $11 is an amount that sounds plausible, so he uses that story. I bet he has tried different stories and different amounts of money. 

I used to go to a shopping plaza where there was a man with an empty gas can, which was quite convincing. He said he had run out of gas and needed $10. The empty can made people believe him, until they noticed he was there every day walking around with his can. 

lend you his driving license?  As a guarantee for 11 dollars?

yeah right..

• Audrey

It's a big fat scam. We had a guy doing the exact same scam at our big plaza here.

sounds like it, maybe you should turn him in for that

It's beyond likely. It's obvious that's exactly what he's doing.