Can a person improve writing skills by taking a creative writing class?

Favorite Answer

Yes, but you can also do it by consulting a style manual, by joining a writers' group,  and by accessing the mountain of educational writing resources that are free in libraries and on the internet. I've now been earning a part-time living as a writer for 22 years and taught myself how to write far better than I learned in high school and college. You can too, but if you're the type that does better in a formal class, it certainly cannot hurt if you have a great instructor. 

It depends entirely upon the class. Some creative writing classes are so vicious, it could ruin a person forever.

• Andrew

Are you asking whether or not it might be possible for someone to improve his or her level of skill in a certain discipline by taking a class? I want you to stop and think about what you're asking here. People enroll in classes to learn how to cook, learn how to drive, learn how to speak another language... And you're asking whether or not classes can be an effective way to get better at doing something? If they weren't effective at all, why would anybody do it? Plenty of people out there enroll in classes, but are still terrible in the kitchen, are still awful drivers, and can't make themselves understood in their target language, that's certainly true. But while there are no guarantees in life, people seek instruction with things they are hoping to get better at doing because it's been proven that if a person studies with someone who knows what they're doing and the student really and truly puts effort in, it will more than likely be an effective way to improve. 

Sure. "Can" doesn't mean "will," though.