Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

How do send bread overseas?

Hello so I am from the United States and I am trying to send my grandma some Spanish bread that she can’t find in the UK. I can’t really afford overnight shipping so how can I ship the bread without it going stale??? :( it may take a few days maybe a week.

The only kind of baked good I would ship overseas is fruitcake. It gets better with age and will keep if sealed tightly for as much as three months. Some cookies should be okay...but not bread.

Utilize a USPS Priority APO/FPO/DPO boxes to deliver things abroad. When mailing natively constructed prepared merchandise, ensure each piece is separately wrapped and afterward pressed into a rugged compartment. Spot the endowments in a strong box and pad with pressing peanuts or froth. Seal it safely with pressing tape.

Essentially; you don't. Post is taking longer atm due to the pandemic, so it might not get there for a few weeks.

• denise

If you can get some 'part-baked' bread that is sealed it has a longer use by date, your grandma could finish of the baking when she receives it.

• kswck2

There is a Big backlog in customs in the UK right now. So even if you pack it perfectly, there is no guarantee that it won't be a brick by the time she gets it-IF she ever does. 

She might be better off calling the manufacturer to see if they do sell something similar in the UK.

I have had real problems in the past with UK customs and the time it takes to clear packages. And now that they are not part of the EU, you might have the same problem if you buy the bread from a Spanish baker and ask them to drop ship it to grandma. See if you can find a UK baker who makes Spanish bread that gets five stars, and see if they will ship to your grandmother.

If it's the kind of bread that goes stale in a few days, the only way to keep it from doing so is to keep it frozen. You could pack it in dry ice to do that, except that mailing dry ice internationally isn't allowed. I don't think you can do this.

Now is not a good time to try shipping food.  If you haven't noticed UK customs are in disarray and backlogged.  I'm not being prejudiced to think that you may have better googling skills than your grandma.  See if you can find an ethnic deli in the UK which can supply the bread you have in mind, or the right ingredients to make it herself. Shipping within the country runs pretty well despite covid and bad weather.  I seldom have to wait longer than two days for speciality ingredients even with the slow shipping option.  Use your words carefully.  "Spanish" in British = "from Spain,"  if you mean a specific Central or South American country you need to include that in your search, and better still include the name of the bread.  Also, make sure you tweak the settings in your search engine to prioritise UK over US search returns or it'll take forever.