Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My parents won’t let me move out ?

I’m an adult child living at home and I want to move in with my boyfriend.  I have a job and I saved up money to do so. I announced to my parents that I am leaving and they are not allowing me to.  They told me it’s because I live with them and they can tell me what I can and can’t do.  They don’t like my boyfriend so they don’t want me to live with him, I feel like it is unfair for them to make decisions for me.

Currently I am looking, for a home to live. I want to buy property, but I am not getting any good answers!

I saved up around thirty thousand dollars. I am struggling to find a place to live. I am always speaking with unintelligent individuals who are uninformed.

There are people who seem to think that I want to live in a house, but yet I never said anything about me wanting to live in a house.

Regarding yourself, you are going to have to figure out how to manage your own life. If you can't manage your own life then you will have big problems.

Your boyfriend can leave you whenever he wants, and then what will you do, or if you break up with him then what will you do?

I understand you have a job, but can you live alone?   This may happen, and if you fall short on money then you will become homeless.

they cant legally stop you

if youre an adult they cant legally stop you

You are a child until you do make your own decisions- and follow through.

If you're living under their roof, they can make a lot of decisions for you, but where you live isn't one of them. It's a bit ironic how they say that they can tell you what to do because you live with them. You're an adult and you have every right to move out. They may not like your boyfriend, but it's not their decision as to what you do with him. If you're asking what you should do, my advice is to move. I mean, what are they gonna do? Evict you? They can't control that part of your life anymore. I understand that it may be difficult as moving out may put a riff in your relationship with them, but they need to understand that you're not a child anymore and they shouldn't treat you like one.

• g

How can they prevent you from leaving? They can absolutely express their displeasure, and you can still leave.

My parents didn't want me moving out either, but when I was 21 I basically told them "this is happening" and I did it. Yea they were sad/upset about it and my mom constantly asked me to move back in for a while. Parents will accept it if you give them no choice. It's a hard adjustment for them that we as their children don't yet understand. But it is your life and you need to live it as you see fit, even if your parents are uncomfortable with the changes.