Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

In military parades, why does US military walk and not really march? Other countries really march.  ?

Well, if you mean "goose-stepping", the US military doesn't do that. I always enjoy watching the news reels of the Nazi "Wehrmacht" goose-stepping down "Unter der Linden" through the Victory Arch in Berlin. Also, liked to watch the DDR "Volksarmee" troops goose-stepping in the 1980's, they were really a precise group of marchers. Wonder where those armies and their governments went.

Marching is walking in step.   We do not goosestep.  

I suspect you are talking about the exaggerated parade drill practiced by many militaries around the world.  The U.S. military was born in combat and their traditions follow from that.  The Continental Army was taught "drill and ceremony" (i.e., marching") at Valley Forge in 1778.  The purpose of learning drill and ceremony is to more effectively maneuver formations on the battlefield (not to impress a king); hence the U.S. Army never adopted the joint-smashing styles of many European militaries.

• y

Was in a couple a few decades ago, demonstratives for important people and for leadership in foreign countries. We had to march, had to practice marching prior to them to.

• hamel5

I don't know about that.  We spent a LOT of time practicing marching in boot camp.  Of course, I think that I marched once after that. 

But, the U.S. style is more natural looking .  No goose stepping or prancing needed.