Can a car have two different insurance policies? ?

I want to use my parents car for doing uber eats or doordash. I dont have much money to buy a new car. Would i be able to get my own insurance and use their car? or would adding me to their insurance plan be better? i really dont want them to be liable if i get into an accident...since they own the car would they still get in trouble for anything i do?

Their car is insured for pleasure use only.

You want to use it as a BUSINESS VEHICLE = different insurance costs (higher) Don't buy a new car.  Delivery driving needs a "beater" or a car you paid $500 for.    Worried about reliability?  I paid $400 for a car with 385,000 miles on it.   I took it to 999,999 and over another 20,000miles. I replaced wiper blades and tires AND THAT IS ALL.  That was an 1980's car.(except for usual oil change & air filter)

Yes             

• D50

Your parents are liable for any damage done by THEIR car, so they must insure it. If you use it for business, you'll have to get special coverage in addition to their usual policy. Uber or Doordash or whoever will need to see the policy before they will assign you any work, so there's no point in trying to cheat on this. If you break any laws, you are the one gets in trouble, but if you do damage or cause injury by accident, the insurance should pay for it.

• Scott

Your only option is being added to their policy. You cannot insure someone else's car. Be cautioned their standard personal policy will exclude coverage if driving for commercial purposes (pizza delivery, Uber, Lyft, Doordash, etc). If you cause a collision while working the insurance company will not pay.

• May

NO !!!!!

Adding you to their insurance policy would be better than getting your own.

However, most insurance policies don't cover driving for Uber, Lyft, Doordash, etc.

A vehicle can have a commercial and private policy, yes, but if you are under 18 you cannot get your own policy. The policies would also have to be through different providers. If it is the same company, they won't issue separate policies, they will combine them. t would just be smarter to as your parents to put you on their policy with extra insurance for commercial use. I doubt they'll go for it due to the very high cost and the liability they would incur. In a lawsuit the owner bears as much liability as the driver. Go get some higher education and find a real job instead. 

The simple answer is to contact the insurance company, tell them how you want to use the vehicle and let them set you up with the appropriate policy. Usually this means you get added to your parent's policy as an authorized driver. Make sure your policy covers business usage for the Uber/Door Dash, etc work.

If you do get into an accident while on their policy they might lose a discount for being claim-free or something, but let that be an incentive for you to drive safely. There's really no way around the fact that if you start causing car accidents you're going to pay more for insurance.

You would have to get a commercial policy.  Regular auto insurance won't cover you when the vehicle is used for business.

i would ask your parents about it